Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4 Communications Squadron

Lyffe

From Ray Sturtivant's RAF Flying Training and Support Units since 1912:

No. 4 Communication Squadron

Formed 6.1.19 at Flexistowe (absorbed Nos. 333 & 334 Flts of No. 232 Sqn) with two flights of five F.5 each for long disatance communications; Disbanded 12.19.

Aircraft: Short 184 (N9140); F.5 (N4044); Fury (N123)

Errol

Greetings and many thanks Errol.  I was trying to find something to add to Leendert's thread about the unit on RAFCommands.  Would you prefer to reply to him, or do you mind if I quote you?

Brian

Hello Brian,

I have now copied my post to rafcommands.

Cheers,

Errol

Many thanks, Errol.  

Taking the thread a stage further it is believed this unit may have lost a Short 184 near the Frisian Islands on 17 July 1919, the pilot being either a Lt Milton M Murphy or Lt James P Murray, both Americans.  Belgium (or Dutch?) newspapers reported the incident occurred near "Buoy 6".   Is anyone able to confirm such a loss or offer any other details,  such as the aircraft number?  

Brian

There are only three RAFM Casualty Cards relating to 4 (Communications) Squadron:

23 May 1919, Lt CJT Boys & Capt HL Nunn both injured when Short 184 N9140 crashed through engine failure

11 August 1919, Lt SES McLeod killed in Felixstowe Fury N123, which crashed on take-off for a flight to Africa (Colonel PFM Fellowes, Major EK Moon, Capt J Lee, Capt L Scott, Lt JF Arnutt, WO JG Cockburn & WO HS Locker were all uninjured).

A long time since we last spoke, Mick.  Many thanks for your input, very useful.  I should have added that in this instance the pilot appears to have been uninjured, but I appreciate that probably does not affect your reply.  My thanks again.

Brian 

Edited by Lyffe