Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

24th Division history?

steve fuller

Am I looking in the wrong places, as I cannot see any trace of a 24th Division history? 

Many thanks

Steve

Pretty sure there wasn't one.

Just now, Steven Broomfield said:

Pretty sure there wasn't one.

Thanks Steve - seems to be the consensus so far but thought it worth checking.

Some useful basic information can be found in the appropriate official volume on Great War divisions. A set of these is held behind the counter at T.N.A. If you have any particular questions about the Division I'll try to help, as I have done a certain amount of research on it from its w.ds. and other sources.

Michael

I have an interest in the 24th Division's operations on 31.7.17, i.e. the first day of Third Ypres, when they were on the right of the Allied line. I haven't been able to find anything beyond the usual sources.

11 minutes ago, EastSurrey said:

Some useful basic information can be found in the appropriate official volume on Great War divisions. A set of these is held behind the counter at T.N.A. If you have any particular questions about the Division I'll try to help, as I have done a certain amount of research on it from its w.ds. and other sources.

Michael

7 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I have an interest in the 24th Division's operations on 31.7.17, i.e. the first day of Third Ypres, when they were on the right of the Allied line. I haven't been able to find anything beyond the usual sources.

Thanks both, although I am probably going to be awkward in that I am looking for Sept 1914 to Sept 1915 details / data! The dates I have for Home posts / billets seem to be inconsistent so I am eyeing up local papers from the areas I know about (Shoreham / Brighton and Surrey). 

Any snippet may prove useful?

Steve, I have the Order of Battle of Divisions referred to by Michael in Post 4, so PM me what you want to know and I'll have a look for you.

4 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Steve, I have the Order of Battle of Divisions referred to by Michael in Post 4, so PM me what you want to know and I'll have a look for you.

Thanks Steve, will do :) 

Histories of component units like 8/R/West Kent, and of 9/East Surrey in Pearse & Sloman's history of the regiment, give some information, although it's no guarantee it applies to the whole Division. Both these battalions were in 72 Brigade. According to P& S, 9/ES was at Shoreham, in tents, until at least October, when the weather forced a move to billets in Worthing, where it stayed over the winter. On 2 April, 72 Brigade moved to Redhill & Reigate, until a return to Shoreham, but in huts, on 19 April. On June 21 72 Brigade commenced marching to Blackdown Camp, near Aldershot. The Division embarked for France, mostly on 31 August, 1915.

Michael 

13 minutes ago, EastSurrey said:

Histories of component units like 8/R/West Kent, and of 9/East Surrey in Pearse & Sloman's history of the regiment, give some information, although it's no guarantee it applies to the whole Division. Both these battalions were in 72 Brigade. According to P& S, 9/ES was at Shoreham, in tents, until at least October, when the weather forced a move to billets in Worthing, where it stayed over the winter. On 2 April, 72 Brigade moved to Redhill & Reigate, until a return to Shoreham, but in huts, on 19 April. On June 21 72 Brigade commenced marching to Blackdown Camp, near Aldershot. The Division embarked for France, mostly on 31 August, 1915.

Michael 

Thanks Michael, appreciated. Most dates match within a few days of the 71st Brigade, which is very helpful (as you would expect). I may have tracked the best local newspapers down for more details so will see where it all goes ... 

Just realised I have the History of the 8th West Kents so I'll have a look there tonight. I've just e-mailed you the order of battle stuff (my boss isn't here today).