Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Discharge on medical grounds after transfer to Z Reserve - possible or not?

Chris_Baker

I'm struggling to find the regulations which might cover this case. I don't have a particular case in mind, but it is something nagging at me. Was it possible for a man, who had already been transferred to Class Z Army Reserve, to be discharged on medical grounds under KR392 (or any other regulation for that matter)?

I have came across examples of this 'flow' and although I didnt dwell on it to see how it fitted onto Regs, it seemed reasonable to me at the time. 

One e.g. was a pre war regular who re-enlisted under K1, several wounds stripes, completed service and into Class Z, summer of 1919 Discharged under KR392. I 'assumed' an old wound / gassed effect had become agitated and degraded his medical classification although he had no medical docs to support (although part of me wondered if the pension was a bit of a perk to a long serviceman?)

Sorry no KR / official facts to support but hope it is useful to know that examples certainly exist?

xxviii deals with discharge from Z reserve, but only upon it's cessation.  After WW2, Class Z seemed to drag on for much longer, but you could be "discharged from reserve liability"   You would think there would be some procedure, if your health deteriorated, to be be transferred to another category. Or would this have only become an issue had all the men been re-called if hostilities resumed? 

For that matter, what happened if you died whilst in Class Z? Did your relatives have a responsibility to inform the army that you might be a bit late? 

Just now, IPT said:

For that matter, what happened if you died whilst in Class Z? Did your relatives have a responsibility to inform the army that you might be a bit late? 

With army admin I suspect you had to self certify.

Craig

Is it possible that they were discharged to Class Z whilst a para 392 discharge w/SWB was already in process ? - I could imagine that financially to release a man to Class Z until the paperwork caught up worked out cheaper than paying him army wages to hang around for the para 392 discharge w/SWB to be finalised.

Craig