Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cpl William Linley 11844 7th Battalion Yorkshie regiment

ooshman

Hi all, I`m trying to find out a bit about Cpl William Linley 11844. He was born in seacroft Leeds in 1893. I`m informed that he was in the 7th Battalion Yorkshire Regiment which i think was part of the 17th division, 50th Brigade. I`ve looked him up on ancestry and found him in said regiment but in some pages it states he was in the Green Howards, Yorkshire Hussars and even the Alexandria p o wales own Yorkshire Regiment so its got me a little confused now. I would very much like to know which is the right regiment though i must admit i think its the 7th Battalion Yorkshire Regiment. Also i would like to know where he was when he went missing presumed dead on 13th May 1917. Thanks for any info Lee

At the time of his death the war gratuity shows he had a (gross) gratuity of £16 10s. This give him qualifying service of 33 months at the time of death.

Crasig

Thanks Craig, I thought 7th Battalion yorks was the right one thanks

Hi

He was killed during the Battle of Arras.

At 6.30am on the day of his death his battalion attacked the German lines from Clover and Cushion Trenches, north of the Scarpe, with the objective of capturing Cupid, Cuthbert and Cod Trenches. By 7.30am all objectives had been gained with the exception of the junction of Curly, Cupid and Crook Trenches. Consolidation of the gains was then commenced.

The attack cost the battalion 27 men killed, 139 wounded and 42 missing.

The War Diary (in part) records,

“12 May 1917 - 2.30am. “B” and “C” Companies moved forward and occupied the new assembly trenches completed during the night by 7th Pioneer Battalion, York and Lancaster Regiment. These trenches ran from Crook Trench to south end of Cuba Trench. “A” and “D” Companies took the place of “B” and “C” Companies in Clover, 2 companies of 6th Dorset Regiment occupied the trenches vacated by the battalion.

6.30am. A general assault by 4th and 17th Divisions began in accordance with brigade and battalion orders.

The battalions attacked under an effective shrapnel barrage, in 2 waves of 2 companies each, “B” Company on the right in the 1st wave and “A” Company on the right in the 2nd wave.

Dust from the artillery barrage made observation impossible after the commencement of the attack.

7.30am. Message received from Lt. H.A. Wilkinson, “A” Company, who had taken command of the assaulting troops when Captain Croft of “C” Company had been killed, stated that all objectives had been gained with the exception of junction of Curly, Cupid and Crook Trenches. Touch had been maintained with 1st Battalion, Rifle Brigade on the right but not with 7th Battalion, East Yorkshire Regiment on the left. The last mentioned battalion had not gained their objective and the enemy still held Curly leaving the left of the battalion greatly exposed. Orders were sent to secure the junction above mentioned but after heavy fighting this important point was not occupied by either side at dusk.

10.30pm. Lt. H.A. Wilkinson sent a party under 2nd Lt. Fox to establish a block in Curly. This was made about 40 yards north of the junction and the junction itself occupied after considerable opposition.

13 May 1917 - Incessant fighting continued all day in the neighbourhood of the block in Curly but the battalion held its own and was assisted by Stokes mortar battery from Crook.

The battalion attempted to push northwards in Curly Trench but met with strong opposition. The attack of the left battalion failed and the Yorkshire Regiment only succeeded in, eventually, advancing the stop 20 to 25 yards.

14 May 1917 - 4am. “A” Company were relieved by 6th Battalion, Dorset Regiment and withdrew.

15 may 1917 - At 2.30am “B”, “C” and “D” Companies were relieved.

Casualties:- 3 officers killed (2nd Lt. Thacker named), 9 wounded and 1 missing. 23 other ranks killed, 130 wounded and 42 missing.”

Regards,

Graeme

Thanks guys, the information given is very much appreciated. Thanks Lee

Hi Lee,

Having a quick look at men in the Yorkshire Regiment with near numbers, who do have surviving service papers:

11837 Butler attested 31st August 1914 at Leeds

11840 Townend attested 31st August 1914 at Leeds

11841 Barclay attested 31st August 1914 at Leeds

11847 Carmichael attested 31st August 1914 at Hull

11853 Smith attested 31st August 1914 at "Depot of York R"

11858 Gilbrath attested 31st August 1914 at Middlesbrough

The date of 31st August 1914 would seem likely for William's attestation, and would fall within the date range of Craig's calculation based on the size of the war gratuity that was paid. 

Regards

Chris