Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private John Philip Worrall, Welsh Regiment

Mark Hone

For years I have been convinced that there is at least one old boy of Bury Grammar School who died in the Great War but was missed off our school memorial. I thought that I had found him with the mysterious 2nd Lt. Harold Brown (qv) but it appears that he only claimed to have attended the school. Today, I confirmed a real 'missing man': Private John Philip Worrall from Hollins Mount Bury, who died serving with 18th Battalion the Welsh Regiment on 24th November 1917 and is commemorated on the Louverval Memorial. He attended Bury Grammar school from 1900 to 1904. Unfortunately I have so far not been able to track down an obituary or photo in the local newspaper. I suspect that this may be the reason he was missed off our memorial. A long shot, but if anyone has further information about him I would be delighted to hear from them. His great nephew, with whom i am in contact, apparently has a photo of him aged 4!

The effects records show him as 'John Philip Wadell' (ancestry transcription)

His estate was paid to his brother William.

Craig

Thanks. He came from a large family and I am in touch with his great nephew, also an old boy of the school who does have family photographs but not apparently one of John Worrall in uniform. His MIC does not shed any further light on his military career. I'm assuming that he was a conscript. Odd that he was missed off our war memorial as several of the family went to Bury Grammar before and since. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have still not located a photograph of JP Worrall as an adult. No sign of an obituary in the Bury newspapers. His name was added to our school war memorial in time for the unveiling of our 'Fallen Swans' poppy installation, which happened to coincide with the 99th anniversary of his death.

CyfbVeYWIAE5grG.jpg

Edited by Mark Hone

Hi All

The actual Effects register also shows his service number  as 29098 whereas it should read 290968. Probate also states served with 1/7th.

Regards Barry

He was born 15th March 1887 but wasn't baptised until 13th July 1904 along with his sisters Ethel b.1888 and May b.1893. @ Unsworth North Wesleyan Methodist Church.

Also commemorated on the Whitefield War Memorial.

Edited by The Inspector

The War Gratuity of £5 in the Effects Register indicates he enlisted in or about August 1916 (thanks to Craig's Gratuity Calculator). A near WR number in the Silver War Badge records - 290949 Thomas Melvin - has an enlistment date of 10th August 1916.

Mike