Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification of uniform and badges please

Elaine.01944

If any member of the Forum is able to help in the identification of uniform and badges on the photographs of WW1 soldiers that would be very helpful and much appreciated.

OPsoldierscotslittlebrother.jpg

The sporran badge is Black Watch, a bar of choc for JD !

6 hours ago, Sepoy said:

An un-usual belt buckle????

Sepoy

That puzzled me too - could it be "R" and "H" either side of a central thistle head?

A close-up would be very useful.

Mark

Edited by MBrockway

30 minutes ago, MBrockway said:

A close-up would be very useful.

I had a dabble, and think it it could be "F P H" ?

BillyH.

Buckle.jpg

The sett of the tartan does not look like standard Black Watch government No1 universal tartan to me and he doesn't look like a piper.

Still stumped by the "F. P. H." belt buckle too.

Thank you. I am new to this forum and have no military history experience.  I am pleased with these responses even if it does not take me far. Another person posted this photo on my behalf to a Scottish forum.  They could not agree. I do not know who the soldier is but this photograph was in the possession of a Great Aunt who passed and the message on the back of the photo refers to the soldier being 'wee brother'. This is not her wee brother but most likely someone else in the family.  I am hoping to make a connection one day.

This one has appeared on a fair number of forums in the past few years and yet nobody seems to be any the wiser.

Black Watch-esque outfit what with the collar badges, the sporran cantle, sporran strap and the plain glengarry and yet not a Black Watch cap badge and the tartan is definitely neither Government tartan nor Royal Stewart.

I'm not sure either what the colour of the facings is.

Maybe from the Dominions, but not the Black Watch of Canad or any of their predecessors as far as I can make out.

As for the buckle, I have no idea.  The white belt is however noted, so likely not a Piper.

Am I right in thinking however that the 'P' between the 'F' and 'H' is not as long vertically?  Could that mean that the 'P may not form part of the unit name but maybe something else, e.g. a place or location in it's own right?

Just trying to think of what the letters might represent if his unit was from the 'Black Watch area' .....

F?  Forfar, Forfarshire, Fife, Fifeshire, Falkland, Field....or even a throwback to Fencibles perhaps?,

P? Perth, Perthshire

H? Highland, Highlanders, Horse, Hospital

As for the tartan it does look as if could be Fraser (whether Hunting or Modern 'Red'). On other forums the modern Red Cameron has been proposed as have various settings of MacDonald. 

Rather than Rifle Volunteers, I'm wondering whether it could have been a medical corps unit, artillery unit or something else that was located within Black Watch territory or which had some link to that regiment.

Thank you.  A little more information which may or not, help.  The photo is a split back post card which has been chopped to fit the frame.  I am no expert but looking around it could date as early as 1902 ish?  The most likely person for this to be is Frank Fielding, born in Cheshire in 1887 and emigrated to the US in 1908. Frank is half brother to my GGF. He married a woman from Glasgow and lived the rest of his life in US.  There is a photograph circa 1900 with female family members which states they are visiting 'Dear ones' in Perth so Perth is a possibility.  That said I have nothing to connect the Scottish soldier and the group of woman on the other photo.  If it is Frank then he has a US WW1 draft registration with the following number 2583 2358 No 188. It would be good to give my Scottish soldier a home.

I sent a copy of the photo to someone who has been involved in the kiltmaking/tartan industry for about five decades for thoughts as to the tartan, and the answer came back as likely to be the Ancient Hunting Fraser.  

The other comment that came back.......if he is a soldier, he's sloppily dressed and should have spent a weekend in the guard house!

If so, then some connection with the Lovat Scouts or the Scottish Horse would be the obvious possibility. 

Thank you Ron.  I won't go into detail but 'Ancient Hunting' and 'many dear' is a comment on postcard from Perth which I think is connected to my Scottish soldier.  There may be a play on words here and I am intrigued enough to go on looking.  I appreciate very much indeed your efforts on my behalf.  As to guard house = well quite possible with my lot.

Any chance he might be in the 3rd Highland Field Ambulance from Dundee?Their Pipe Band during WW1 wore the Black Watch sporran,and the tartan of the kilt in the photo looks suspiciously like the Robertson tartan that they were wearing by the time of WW2.I think I am right in saying that their name changed to 312 Field Ambulance.What do we reckon?

Wouldn't discount RAMC, but I don't think it looks even remotely like Robertson (whether Hunting or Red).