Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regiment transfer

Tim Louth

My Great Grandfather Christopher Downton died on Valentines day in 1917. He was serving in the Somerset light infantry at the time. He joined the regiment in January 1917.

I believe he was originally in the Devonshire regiment before he transferred into the SLI.

Can anyone advise me of how to find out for sure if he started with the Devonshires?

His CWGC entry might help. His Medal Index Card [Available on Ancestry, FREE] should show if he went overseas with the Devonshires, Worth a search for any records on Ancestry [FREE at the moment, not sure for how long]

If his Medal Index Card only shows SLI then that is who he went overseas with, His service record would list his postings. The Medal Roll might show any previous regiment. 

His war gratuity shows he had 12 months or less service when he died on 14/2/1917 with 7th Bn Som. LI.

Soldiers Died Great War show he was originally #36635 with the Devonshires. Any service with the Devonshires was prior to him being sent to France.

Craig

Many thanks for your replies.

I have found a few references to him with the SLI but nothing at all about his time with the Devonshires except the entry in Ancestry stating previously with the Devonshires.

He joined the SLI in January 1917 apparently.

Any ideas where I should start with the Devonshires?

1 hour ago, Tim Louth said:

Any ideas where I should start with the Devonshires?

#36634 was allocated 18 August 16.
#36632 was allocated 18 August 16.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Not 100% however #36628,#36631, #36632, #36634, #36646 all appear to have originally been 14th Devons so I'd say that was probably as good a guess as any.

Craig

I am going to the National Archive in 2 weeks. Hopefully I can find out when and where he joined the Devonshires and when he transferred to the SLI, maybe even why.