The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Marsden 8792 Northumberland Fusiliers

Paul Nolan

I am searching for any additional information about the records of my wife's great great grandfather who died at Ypres in Belgium on 13th November 1914.

We understand he was killed under fire from his in artillery but his service records and anything about him is proving elusive.

Everyone seems so helpful and knowledgable on here, I thought I'd give ut a shot.

Thankyou.

He was a member of the 1st Battalion according to the few records we have. 

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Paul Nolan said:

I am searching for any additional information about the records of my wife's great great grandfather who died at Ypres in Belgium on 13th November 1914.

We understand he was killed under fire from his in artillery but his service records and anything about him is proving elusive.

Everyone seems so helpful and knowledgable on here, I thought I'd give ut a shot.

Thankyou.

He was a member of the 1st Battalion according to the few records we have. 

It appears his service records no longer exist nor does there appear to be any surviving soldiers will.

He appears in the soldiers effects records - any monies were paid out to his wife Violet.

Craig

Hi Paul - Sadly he's one of those whom I know very little about apart from he served with the 1st Battalion, N.F. and resided 11 'C' Block, Dock Cottages, Birkenhead, Cheshire and that he arrived in France on the 13th August 1914.

His number and the fact he was in France in August 1914 would suggest he was a pre-war Regular(or Reservist) and he may have enlisted as early as 1903/04. I have all the regimental journals for that period, but it would take me ages to go through them to see if he turns up.

• Admin

The diary shows 1 Killed and 2 wounded on 13 Nov - looks like he was killed during the day by either some artillery shelling or some bombs fired from the enemy trenches. The battalion spent the day in trenches before moving to Herenthage wood in the evening.

It reads like the trenches were around Herenthage Chateau.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

• Admin

Here's the casualty list enclosed with the war diary (the 'ditto' in the first column is for killed)

Capture.JPG

Craig

28 minutes ago, Graham Stewart said:

Hi Paul - Sadly he's one of those whom I know very little about apart from he served with the 1st Battalion, N.F. and resided 11 'C' Block, Dock Cottages, Birkenhead, Cheshire and that he arrived in France on the 13th August 1914.

His number and the fact he was in France in August 1914 would suggest he was a pre-war Regular(or Reservist) and he may have enlisted as early as 1903/04. I have all the regimental journals for that period, but it would take me ages to go through them to see if he turns up.

Thankyou so much.

19 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Here's the casualty list enclosed with the war diary (the 'ditto' in the first column is for killed)

Capture.JPG

Craig

Thankyou so much.

24 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Capture.JPG

Craig

Thankyou for your help.

Thanks both so much for the information.  we are travelling to Ypres tomorrow to lay some flowers.

Just having a bit more information has been really helpful.  

Best Regards.

Paul.

Paul - Just to let you know that I went through all of my St.Georges Gazettes for 1902, through to 1908 and I must have come across every 87** in the Northumberlands apart from 8792 Pte Thomas Marsden. However it isn't all bad news as the 87** numbers were seemingly split between the 1st and 3rd Battalions and the rank "Boy" is given to quite a few. So as Thomas was only 28yrs of age when he was killed, then he would have been born around 1886 and only be around 16yrs of age when he enlisted - so he may actually have been a "Boy" soldier. I'll continue looking to see if he appears in any later editions.

• Admin

There is a service record for #8794 Lowe which shows enlistment on 29 Feb 1902.

He doesn't show up on the 1911 census as being in the military - that being said if he enlisted as a regular enlistment in 1902 it would have been for 3 years with the colours & 9 on the reserve (I'm open to correction but I believe the 12 years service only started once they hit 18) - that would mean his 3 years with the colours would start in 1904 end in 1907 so it would fall between the census periods.

This is also a #8795 who enlisted to the Special Reserve on a 1 year service period on 1 Sep 14 (most 1 year men tended to have had some prior service)

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252