Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

686323 Dvr. Chesters, James Alick

David Porter

This man was discharged on May 25, 1918 and he died on October 8, 1918.

He is clearly suffering from Tuberculosis when discharged and this has been attributable to "exposure on active service".

I cannot find him commemorated anywhere but his service record survives.

JAChesters.jpg

He doesn't have a war gratuity record on Ancestry under 686323 unless they've mangled it - based on when he died he should have a record in the effects register.

EDIT:

Can't see anything obvious under a mangled version either which is odd.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

He is on Soldier's Effects, his service number is mistranscribed as 626323.

There is also a burial record on Ancestry at Holy Trinity Church, Wavertree.

I reckon it would be worth getting hold of his death certificate, provided he died from tuberculosis there's a decent chance of getting him commemorated.

CHESTERS, JAMES  ALICK       Age at Death (in years): 33
GRO Reference: 1918  D Quarter in WEST DERBY  Volume 08B  Page 1295

Had a look around the churchyard at Wavertree this afternoon but couldn't find a headstone.

Edited by PaulC78

Thanks Paul for your efforts and discovering the transcription error in the Soldier's Effects. I did try to find newspaper articles but drew a blank. I now feel the need to get his death certificate.

David

The key to commemoration will be the death certificate. If it confirms death from TB then commemoration is pretty much guaranteed. If he was hit by a runaway train, then he will not be eligible.

The In From the Cold Project will be happy to advise you on this. And, if you wish, will make the submission to CWGC on your behalf. If we do put the case forward for you, we'll be ahppy to refund you the cost of getting the death certificate. Contact us through our wesbite - see link in my signature.

John

6 minutes ago, John_Hartley said:

David

The key to commemoration will be the death certificate. If it confirms death from TB then commemoration is pretty much guaranteed. If he was hit by a runaway train, then he will not be eligible.

The In From the Cold Project will be happy to advise you on this. And, if you wish, will make the submission to CWGC on your behalf. If we do put the case forward for you, we'll be ahppy to refund you the cost of getting the death certificate. Contact us through our wesbite - see link in my signature.

John

Would the CWGC accept one of the digital scans which are being trailed by the GRO ? (assuming they are covering this time scale)

Craig

13 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Would the CWGC accept one of the digital scans which are being trailed by the GRO ? (assuming they are covering this time scale)

Craig

Terry Denham seems to think so as they already accept the Scotland and Ireland scans.

Just now, PaulC78 said:

Terry Denham seems to think so as they already accept the Scotland and Ireland scans.

Thanks .

Craig

• 2 months later...
On 11/13/2016 at 17:15, David Porter said:

Thanks Paul for your efforts and discovering the transcription error in the Soldier's Effects. I did try to find newspaper articles but drew a blank. I now feel the need to get his death certificate.

Hi David, just wondering but did you follow up on this?

Thanks for the reminder PaulC78. I'm having some extra money come in this month so may well get the certificate soon.

• 3 years later...