Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Walton-on-Trent, south Derbys

GraemeClarke

Morning,

While there is access to Ancestry etc., I wondered if anyone had a list of names on the

Walton-on-Trent War Memorial, south Derbyshire (not the Lancashire Walton)

Cannot seem to find a list on Google.

many thanks,

Graeme

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Graeme,

Hope this reply isn't too late, but I can definitely help you out with this. I will make a note of the names from the memorial and post them on here for you later on when I get home from work.

Kind regards

Richard

Hi Richard

Many thanks but no problem now, cheers.

I am (hopefully) moving there soon and wanted to do some research while I had free access to Ancestry, now finished.

I will visit the memorial soon and take some pictures to get names etc.

Many thanks for the offer, though, really appreciate it,

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

That's such a shame that I didnt see your message earlier!

Here's the list anyway, just in case another Ancestry freebie comes along. It's a very impressive memorial and covers Catton and Drakelowe as well.

TO THE HONOURED MEMORY OF THOSE WHO FROM AMONGST US FOUGHT AND FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918.

WE HAVE SET UP THIS SIGN OF OUR SALVATION THROUGH JESUS CHRIST.

LOOKING FOR THE RESURRECTION OF THE DEAD AND THE LIFE OF THE WORLD TO COME AMEN.

WALTON ON TRENT

FREDK. J. CUMPSTON

CLARENCE DURANT

GEORGE GOODMAN

ERNEST GREWCOCK

WILFRED HYDE

JOHN HYDE

STANLEY INGRAM

ALFRED REDFERN

JAMES REDFERN

TOM C. SHARMAN

D. FRED WILLIAMS

CATTON

NIGEL ANSON

DRAKELOWE

DONALD T. CAMPBELL

FRANCIS W. HARLOW

JOHN SAVAGE

CECIL SQUIBBS

1939 – 1945

WALTON ON TRENT

ARTHUR JOSEPH BETTERIDGE

JOHN ALFRED ASHLEY CLARK

HORACE CLEWS

JOHN HENRY EARP

LESLIE JOSEPH FERN

CECIL GEORGE HOWELLS

ROGER LINDOP

War Memorials S 130.jpg

Morning Richard,

Absolutely fantastic, many thanks for that, appreciate it. Will start work on it ASAP.

There is little or nothing online, I could not even find a list of the names.

I will have to rejoin Ancestry soon, after my move and after I've settled in, so the information is invaluable.

Many thanks again, hope you did not get too wet !!!

Regards,

Graeme

Hi (again) Richard,

Ive just spent a most enjoyable couple of hours trying to I.D. the men (a couple short).

Just wanted to say thanks again,

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

That's brilliant, glad I could help! Don't worry, definitely didn't get wet getting the photograph for this one as we went and photographed this memorial some time ago for our Derbyshire War Memorials Project. Incidentally, if you would like to, would you like to contribute what you have found out about the men on the memorial to our website at all? You would of course be fully acknowledged as the researcher and contributor of the memorial, and it would be a fantastic addition to our site. https://derbyshirewarmemorials.wikispaces.com/ Who are the couple of men you are struggling with too?

Kind regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

No problems with sharing any info, in fact I have a picture of one of the men.

Im struggling with Campbell, Harlow and Savage on Walton.

Campbell may be M2/020008 died 22/2/19.

Savage may be 204476 died 21/3/18.

No idea about Harlow.

I need to rejoin Ancestry soon to 'finish' (as if they are ever finished) the work but have most of the War Diaries already, however need to get my move in before that.

Moving (if the chain does not collapse) to Drakelow soon,

Regards,

Graeme

Thanks very much indeed for agreeing to share your research with our project Graeme, it's very much appreciated. As soon as you are ready, drop me an email at our contact address on the website, and I'll be more than happy to upload the memorial on your behalf.

It looks like Francis Harlow was in the Canadian Field Artillery http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/249456/HARLOW, FRANCIS WILLIAM

and I think you're correct about Campbell and Savage. John Savage is on Soldiers Died as 'Enlisted Burton on Trent' with no other information, but this was the closest town to Walton.

Kind regards

Richard

Morning Richard,

Many thanks for the link re Harlow, from his cards,

“While doing his duty as wheel driver on an 18 pounder ammunition wagon, delivering ammunition to advanced gun positions near Wancourt, at about 12.30am on September 1st 1918, he was struck in the side and instantly killed by a splinter from a large enemy shell, which burst about twenty five yards to the right of his vehicle.”

Will be in touch re the others, how much detail do you need ??

Regards,

Graeme

That's fascinating information you have found about Francis Harlow, so much detail. What are the cards you mention?

As much or as little detail as you like Graeme, it's entirely up to you. We try and keep to the basics from the CWGC and Soldiers Died initially, and then build on that using Ancestry, Medal Rolls etc.

Thanks again!

Kind regards

Richard

Thanks very much indeed for the link and the info Graeme, I'd heard of the digitized service records from that site, but those Casualty Cards had completely passed me by!