The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Casemate Books - a question

Steven Broomfield

Here's a thing. I started reading The Pass Guard at Ypres, by Ronald Gurner, in the excellent Casemate Classics series - however, it became rapidly apparent around page 65 that something odd had happened.

In fact, it seems that a whole section - pages 65 to 96 - had been replaced with the same pages from a different book - Behind the Lines, by W F Morris. Most disconcerting.

I have e-mailed Casemate (last night, so not expecting a response for a few days), but I wondered if anyone else has had this odd phenomenon. I can't imagine I'm the only person to have been affected.

1 hour ago, CGM said:

I had a Biology text book once, with a whole section in French.

Those were probably the sections unsuitable for young readers.

Mr B

G'day.

I've just read this book (and three others in the series) for  review. If the mis-paging occurred it soared over my head - which is worrying.

Incidentally another in the Series that I received  was H G Wells Mr Britling Sees it Through. I barely did.

Last time I tried to read it I a gave up -  country house-ish pre-war fun - jolly hockey - cod philosophy and posturing by a great writer and his stereotypical characters. . Others may feel different but it's no classic in my book although it sold well in its day. I's like to know if anyone feels differently about he book.

Regards

David

I read 'Mr. Britling' nearly 40 years ago & I seem to remember enjoying it ( It's possible I'm mixing it up with Gilbert Frankau's 'Peter Jackson' which I read around the same time & was rather fond off).

Steven, stick to original editions. Modern reprints can often be rather disappointing.

1 hour ago, David Filsell said:

Mr B

Incidentally another in the Series that I received  was H G Wells Mr Britling Sees it Through. I barely did.

David

I didn't. Got about a third through and gave up.

I also have "Patrol", which was very enjoyable (read it in two commutes) and "The Somme" (ditto), An excellent series - what I've read of "Pass Guard at Ypres" is very good and the few pages of "Behind the Lines" I read before I realised what was going on also looked pretty good.

12 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Steven, stick to original editions. Modern reprints can often be rather disappointing.

Please stop it! It's putting a strain on my marriage ... thank Goodness Mrs B thinks I'm spending the money on another woman.

Peter Jackson is a much underrated and almost forgotten book which I rate very highly. Well worth including in any 'classic' collection. I seem to recall the second part of the title is: Cigar Merchant, Frankau,s actual profession, he was also a friend of R C Sherrif I believe,

Peter Jackson is semi-autobiographical and gives an excellent feel for life as a Kitchener volunteer officer in both the infantry and then the RFA 1914-16. Published in 1919, it was also one of the first books to reveal to the general public what Shell Shock was all about. A classic, which I have read many times over the past 50 years and more.

Charles M  

Concerning the authors of the books mentioned, I would point you to Hugh Cecil's 'Flower of Battle' which contains, inter alia, brief biographies of Gurner, Frankau and Gristwood.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a reply from Casemate (apparently the e-mail through their Contact button had gone to a Junk folder!), asking me to send photos of the missing pages.

Hmmm ... I did point out that operational problems prevented me from doing that, but instead I sent pictures of where they were missing from, and of the replacement pages.

They are sending me a replacement, plus a free copy of Barbusse's 'Under Fire', which is a shame, because not only do I already have a copy, but I didn't like it anyway. A copy of 'Behind the Lines' would have been better - after all, I've read 30 pages of it already!