The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4 Kirkmichael Brothers. Robertson brothers.

Spursrach

I've been tracing the military history of my Great grandfather, Private David Robertson who was a member of the 9th Leicester Regiment, who lost his life at the Somme in 1916 (whose grave I finally managed to visit this year, for the 100th anniversary of his death).  He is buried at Mericourt L'Abbe Cemetary, near Amiens.

I discovered that he had 3 brothers who also served in WW1 but  I'm having no luck whatsoever in tracing them.  None of my family know anything about them, and all I have is a recollection of a newspaper cutting I saw when I was little!  Having used Ancestry.com I have pinpointed the brothers' years of birth, but the only information I have from that cutting is the heading "4 Kirkmichael Brothers with the colours" and then each one was photographed with their name and rank/regiment.

Driver William Robertson

Trooper James Robertson, Scottish Horse

George Robertson (photo showed him in a Navy uniform)

That's all I have!

Except ..... I managed to contact the daughter of James a few years ago, when she was a very elderly lady and she told me that her dad had been with my Great Grandfather David when he died.   So, James would have been in the area of Amiens in July 1916.   David joined up when he was living in Burbage, Leicestershire and James would have joined up in Scotland, so if true, it would be a huge coincidence for them to have been in the same place at the same time on the day David died.  However, I have discovered that there is a member of the Black Watch (which I believe is connected to the Scottish Horse regiments) who was from Scotland, who is buried at Mericourt L'Abbe, so it appears that James may well as been in the ar.a.

So, if anyone can help me out with some ideas of how I might find the brothers' service numbers, regiments or any information which would help me, I'd be very grateful.   All 3 brothers survived the war, but that is all I know.