Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA 266th Siege Battery

Merry121

I believe that my grandfather served in this unit.  How do I find out where the unit fought?  His name was Joseph Shuttleworth and his number was 164392.  he enlisted in 1917.

Thanks for all help.  Looks like there is a lot of knowledge out there.

Have you typed "266 siege" into this forum search? you will find at least one thread(from 1911) that discusses them;

You will also see Imperial War Museum has a 16p document on the battery for the period that interests you. I don't know its contents but I'm sure one of the Garrison Arty experts can help?

266 Siege IWM.JPG

Charlie962

Merry121,

There is a specific 266 SB war diary that could easily be found on the National Archives site ref: WO95/391 covering Sept16 through to Jan 18, though as your man didn’t join 266 until Dec17 is of little use. However I cannot just find it at this moment in time on their website as the ref has been updated.

To fill in battery movements beyond January 1918 you require the Brigade (a higher formation grouping of batteries) war diary, 266 were part of until Armistice which was 39 Brigade RGA, This can be found at Ref WO95/391/2 and downloaded for a small sum.

The IWM document “ An episode in France September 1917-Nov 11 1918: recollections with 266 Siege Battery Royal Regiment of Artillery, BEF France is by far the best option. This small 16 page doc categorically lists all the positions the battery fought and contains a few photographs.

Unfortunately none of the above will mention your GF.

Rgds

Paul

6 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Have you typed "266 siege" into this forum search? you will find at least one thread(from 1911) that discusses them;

You will also see Imperial War Museum has a 16p document on the battery for the period that interests you. I don't know its contents but I'm sure one of the Garrison Arty experts can help?

266 Siege IWM.JPG

Charlie962

Thank you so much, I thought there must be a search but hadn't found it yet. :)