Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Training Reserve query - Kinmel or Curragh?

clive_hughes

Hi all,

I've been putting together a soldier's service history based on an existing WO363 Burnt Papers personal file.  However, his period in the Training Reserve isn't as clear as I'd hoped.  This is the sequence as pieced together from his file:

Called up and enlisted Bury, Lancs 19 September 1917.  Given a TR/4 number, consistent with Western Command area.  

Posted to 59th TR Battn. 20/21 Sept.  He was shown as vaccinated at Kinmel Park camp those dates.  But according to E.A.James and LLT, this unit was based at the Curragh, in Ireland.

On 10 October 1917 posted to 62nd TRB which seems to have been at Kinmel.  He moved from them into 53rd (Young Soldiers) Cheshire Regt. on 1 November, though in fact the 62nd was retitled 53rd YS as of 27 October.  

On 28 Jany. 1918 he was posted to 51st (Graduated) Bn. Cheshires - which once again James/LLT say was at the Curragh.  Indeed, this battalion was the old 59th TRB, then  213th Graduated Bn., then 51st Cheshires - so he'd already served with them?  He was posted to France in April 1918.  

This is confusing me more than usual, and I'd be grateful for some clarity as to whether he was shuttled between Kinmel and the Curragh. 

If anyone wants to try disentangling the sequence he was TR/4/31682 [EDIT: no, 41682]  Charles RALPHS, then resident Thomas Street, Middleton, Manchester; later (France) 53644 Cheshire Regiment.  You'd need to check the full file as bits about his UK service crop up throughout.  

Thanks,

Clive

Edited by clive_hughes

Clive

I tried getting my head around which unit became which. It had me going round in circles and made my brain hurt (both cells).

It was relatively simple which units became the 57th throught to 66th Training Bn but afterwards it got a bit murky. I'll send you the XL I made of T4   Training Bn numbers.

My primary aim was to get what sort of T4 number blocks the RWF components became (i.e 12th, 18th, 20th  and 21st RWF) It's helpful in some ways to that end and does have some sort of a pattern but would need  quite a bit more work on chasing up more records to firm up the pattern. A big hinderance for working out what unit those Training Bns became was incomplete and/or out of sequence files which complicated things with so many men being moved between the various T4 Bns.  I'm afraid it doesn't resolve this query though.

Clive

Is 31682 in your opener a typo maybe?  I hadn't looked at his file when I replied/sent email. I see his T4 number as 41482 or 41682. Either of those fit into the recruiting numbers/dates for 59th as you'll see in the XL. Still doesn't resolve your query though!

Edited by Hywyn

Hywyn,

You're quite right : re-checked and I'd slipped, his number was indeed TR/4/41682.