Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

trajan

Does anyone think that this is genuine? Really? 

William

26 minutes ago, WilliamRev said:

Does anyone think that this is genuine? Really? 

William

I appears that the museum does ..

Craig

William,

It appears that the item in question is on public display in the Keep Military Museum, Dorchester.  Given your obvious scepticism as to the genuineness of the item concerned, or perhaps the story attached to it, perhaps you will provide some detail in support of what you say. 

Regards,

Michael.   

2 minutes ago, Michael Haselgrove said:

William,

It appears that the item in question is on public display in the Keep Military Museum, Dorchester.  Given your obvious scepticism as to the genuineness of the item concerned, or perhaps the story attached to it, perhaps you will provide some detail in support of what you say. 

Regards,

Michael.   

I can see why people do doubt things due to the large number of objects but I'd presume the museum must have some sort of provenance for it.

Craig

I realise that he copper sheet used to manufacture the bugle is very thin in gauge, but I would have thought there might be some evidence of strike on the nose of the bullet, which looks remarkably pristine.

Also the general catastrophic damage to the bugle is not in keeping with the way the copper is formed around the bullet wedging it in place, and conveniently hiding any engraving on the bullet by the rifling.

Without the background story I might have speculated that the bugle was indeed damaged by a near spent bullet, but the incumbent round may have been added later for dramatic effect.

Not being a ballistics expert, I couldn't comment, but I could see a virtually spent round coming to rest like that. Pretty thin copper so lack of damage to the head of the round possible? May have been tarted up for effect, but it is 100 years old so we'll never know. I certainly don't think it's a complete fake.