Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

19th 1 BT Army Service Corps

Paul Parnell

I was discussing the site with a friend of mine and he asked would anyone be able to find anything on his grandfather all I could find is the following is this due to the records being destroyed by fire in WW2? I think it may be my lack of knowledge on where to look can anyone help Please.

Name Albert Davies
Regiment or Corps: 19th 1 BT Army Service Corps
Regimental Number: T/24853

Hi Paul

See the Long Long Trail, top left.

Medal Index Card Brit/Vic/14 Star, entered theatre 3.9.14 Driver Albert Davies T/24853....looking

Regards Barry

Hi Paul,

OK. The easy bit. The fact that his number is prefixed with a T means he was in Horse Transport.

His card tells us he was a Driver.

Barry explains his medal entitlement above.

I don't know what 19th 1BT   stands for.

I don't think it stands for 19th Company ASC, that was No2 Company of 6th Divisional Train.

What part of the country was he from?

I regret to say that more than any other corps of the army, the absence of an Army Service Corps service record really diminishes the chance of finding much information.

The ASC were everywhere.

1 minute ago, The Inspector said:

Hi Again

14 Star Roll at the top of the page "19th Infantry Brigade Train".

Regards Barry

Good work.

Hi

LLT, 8th ASC, pre war. Initially 19th Inf.Brig Train then 2nd Division, later 33rd Div, from Nov.1915, switched for 172 Company.

Dai Bach...I am none the wiser!!! Over to you.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

12 minutes ago, The Inspector said:

Hi

LLT, 8th ASC, pre war. Initially 19th Inf.Brig Train then 2nd Division, later 33rd Div, from Nov.1915, switched for 172 Company.

Dai Bach...I am none the wiser!!! Over to you.

Regards Barry

I don't like horses.

Smelly things , and they bite.

Petrol or diesel engines for me, any time!

Michael Young didn't list a  War Diary  for 8 Coy ASC at Kew, and I can't find one in the Discovery catalogue.

There are diaries for 172 Coy, but I can't see they would be relevant.

I suppose if you followed the movements of 19th Infantry Brigade, then 2nd Infantry Division, then 33rd from the beginning to November 1915, that would give you a basic idea of  where  8 Company would have been involved in that period, supplying rations, ammunition, general waggon transport etc.

Am I reading it right, that 172 Company then come in to do the same job, and 8 Coy move out to where 172 were previously? I suppose 172 Company War Diary would tell you where they were before exchanging positions with 8 Coy?

Might be something to work on?

The War Diary for the 19th Brigade Train is available on Ancestry.

Look for Brigade Train and 2nd Division. Piece 1367/2.

It covers the period from Aug. 1914 to Aug. 1915.

Steen

Intersting terminology. Normally, trains were organized at the divisional level with a company of the train being tasked to support a brigade. Any ifea why the difference in organization? Was the 19th brigade independent?

All the best,

Gary

The 19th Infantry Brigade was formed as an independent brigade in August 1914 according to  wikipedia 

It then joined the 2nd Division in August 1915 and finally 33rd Division November 1915.

Had a look at the War Diary of the 19th Brigade Train on Ancestry, and the last 20 pages or so, are from the Reserve Brigade Train in case anyone is interested.

Steen

The penny has dropped! Just remembered I have the book "On the Road from Mons" which is an account of the 19th BT during the retreat from Mons. It was written by the OC. The unit was an ad hoc group formed from scratch in France. They had a very chaotic time until the front stanilized! It is an interesting read!

All the best,

Gary