Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Suspension bar to repair BWM wanted

damien7

Any pals know of a supplier of quality suspension bars for the BWM?

I have 5 BWM disc's and know a competent craftsman who could restore these if I can find some suspension bars.

I have thought about using replica BWM as a donor, but they seem to go for £20+ which is not a problem but I don't think the quality would be up to scratch.

Damien

post-23-1102468103.jpg

Damien

I would recommend a Canadian issue WW2 war medal they are made of silver and is very close to the WW1 suspenders. The medals are cheeper and are not named. I am in need of one myself for a recent purchase that has a damaged suspender. The scan below shows a WW2 Suspender on the left and a proper WW1 on the right.

Regards

N.S.Regt.

post-23-1102502969.jpg

I would recommend Chris Dixon. He has carried out work for me in the past, all of which is to a very high standard.

C.J & A.J. Dixon

First Floor

23 Prospect Street

Bridlington

East Yorkshire

YO15 2AE

01262 603348

chris@dixonsmedals.co.uk

Hope this helps.

Mark

As mentioned by n.s.regt., most collectors on this side of the Atlantic use a WW2 Canadian war medal suspender if a BWM needs to be redone. The suspenders are very much alike, and the finished product looks excellent.

The pin that holds the suspender to the medal: how can it be fabricated as I assume that when the suspender is taken off the WW2 medal it is damaged? :unsure:

Derek

I just take it in to a jewler it cost me between 5 and 10 dollars Cdn. over here I suppose if you had access to silver wire you could do it yourself. If done properly (the reason I use a jewler) it looks the same as and the original the holes line up perfectly so it should not take much effort to install. I do not have a repaired one handy but I included a scan of the same one as above to show hopefully how things line up. The second medal is one I have to get repaired as you can see it was knocked about but as I collect to the 25th Battalion it is the only one I will find to this man and worth repairing.

Regards

N.S.Regt.

post-23-1102542396.jpg

Thanks pals for your help, very much appreciated.

Damien