Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Frederick Poole

Sjack91

I am looking for information on the following soldier for a close friend. He came across three medals whilst clearing his relatives home. The three medals are the Mons star, the victory medal and the British War medal. All are named the following.

Private F. POOLE

Duke of Cornwall L.I

It is believed that he was born in England in 1890. Where I unfortunately do not know. I know that his name was Frederick and he survived the war. It is also though that he may have spent some time serving in Turkey. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Stuart

7 minutes ago, Sjack91 said:

I am looking for information on the following soldier for a close friend. He came across three medals whilst clearing his relatives home. The three medals are the Mons star, the victory medal and the British War medal. All are named the following.

Private F. POOLE

Duke of Cornwall L.I

It is believed that he was born in England in 1890. Where I unfortunately do not know. I know that his name was Frederick and he survived the war. It is also though that he may have spent some time serving in Turkey. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Stuart

As per the medal rolls it should be a 14-15 Star (rather than the 14 Star) + BWM/VM.

Served overseas from 22 Sep 15 in France. Discharged 7 Mar 19. Medal rolls shows only 8th Bn.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Our sister site The Long, Long Trail (see masthead link) has this http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/duke-of-cornwalls-light-infantry/

8th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Bodmin in September 1914 as part of K3 and came under command of 79th Brigade in 26th Division. Moved to Codford and was in billets in Bath in November 1914. Moved to Sutton Veny in May 1915.
Landed at Boulogne 22 September 1915.
Sailed from Marseilles for Salonika 13 November 1915.

So fits in perfectly with Craig's info.

In France from 22 September 1915, then travelled from Boulogne down to Marseilles (probably only going to the Western Front for a short period) on to Gallipoli where he would have encountered Turkish soldiers, and then serving in Mesopotamia until the end of the War.

Excellent work Gents. Are there any documents with his name, address or occupation online? I was trying to find him on findingmypast and forces war records but cannot find him anywhere.

Stuart

• Admin
1 hour ago, KevinBattle said:

Our sister site The Long, Long Trail (see masthead link) has this http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/duke-of-cornwalls-light-infantry/

So fits in perfectly with Craig's info.

In France from 22 September 1915, then travelled from Boulogne down to Marseilles (probably only going to the Western Front for a short period) on to Gallipoli where he would have encountered Turkish soldiers, and then serving in Mesopotamia until the end of the War.

The 26th Division  and the 8th Bn DCLI never served at Gallipoli nor in Mesopatamia, as your quote says after assembling near Amiens in France, the Division and its constituent Brigades were sent to Salonika where they remained for the duration.

The LLT has an introduction to the campaign

http://www.1914-1918.net/salonika.htm

and there is further information at http://salonikacampaignsociety.org.uk/

The enemy included German, Austria-Hungarians , Bulgars and Turks.

Salonika is in Greece, not Turkey.

His service record does not appear to have survived but the 14-15 Star and date of entry indicates he first went overseas with the main body. He would have been very lucky had he returned from the campaign free from malaria which may provide another clue in terms of family knowledge.

The war diary for the brief period in France can be downloaded from TNA

The Salonika diary is also at TNA but has not been digitised

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7360756

The Salonika CS site has a bibliography of the campaign.

Ken

Edited by kenf48

51 minutes ago, Sjack91 said:

Sorry but a little bit confused by this now. Could anyone clear this up abit?

Which part ?

Craig

Sorry Craig was after Ken responded. I was thinking that he had served in Turkey but would I be right in saying that he didn't however he possibly fought against Turks in Greece and Bulgaria?

• Admin
1 hour ago, Sjack91 said:

Sorry but a little bit confused by this now. Could anyone clear this up abit?

Not sure what you are confused about.  As Craig has noted he served with the 8th Bn. this is confirmed by the Medal Rolls.  The 8th Bn DCLI was part of 79th Infantry Brigade which was in the 26th Division.  Unfortunately the information concerning Gallipoli/Mesopatamia was incorrect.

If you go to the link for 26th Division on the LLT as posted above there is an outline of the Division's deployment.

There is an online history of the DCLI  and the actions of the 8th Bn (and the 2nd who were also in theatre)

Salonica 1916 can be found here

1917 here

and 1918 here

Ken

Edited by kenf48

Thanks Ken. It was me thinking that he had served in Gallipoli that had caused me to get a little confused by the response. 

Did you find his medal rolls on the national archive website?

Stuart

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Sjack91 said:

Thanks Ken. It was me thinking that he had served in Gallipoli that had caused me to get a little confused by the response. 

Did you find his medal rolls on the national archive website?

Stuart

The Medal Rolls are on Ancestry here

Subscription required.

Ken

Sorry to have incorrectly muddied the water here, but there was a reference on t'internet to 8th being in Mesopotamia.

I bow to expert knowledge.