Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great Uncle Fred

Lindsay Hall

My great Uncle, Frederick James Keit, Born 1887. KIA Flanders 8/11/1917. 9th London Regiment (Queen Victoria's Rifles), [sub unit: 10th (County of London) Battalion (Hackney)] No 424179. British War Medal. Victory Medal.We know all this but can't find his service record. Thanks Lindsay 

Frederick James Keit

Enlisted at Stratford
Died 8 Nov 17 with 2/10th Bn London Regiment (as shown on the soldiers effects records)
He had 12 months or less service at time of death (as per the war gratuity of £5 which was paid to his widow)

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Thank you Craig. Can you explain what 'less service' means? And do you know if I'm able to apply for/buy replicas of his medals? They were sent to his widow (I think) but she had already married again and were lost to our family. Thanks again Lindsay 

23 minutes ago, Lindsay Hall said:

Thank you Craig. Can you explain what 'less service' means? And do you know if I'm able to apply for/buy replicas of his medals? They were sent to his widow (I think) but she had already married again and were lost to our family. Thanks again Lindsay 

Sorry - it was a typo (corrected now). The war gratuity was paid as a flat rate for the first 12 months so it can only tell you he had served for 12 months or less when he died.

I believe the MOD will issue medals only if they were never successfully issued (i.e not issued in error or returned undelivered & never claimed).

Craig

1 minute ago, ss002d6252 said:

Sorry - it was a typo (corrected now). The war gratuity was paid as a flat rate for the first 12 months so it can only tell you he had served for 12 months or less when he died.

I believe the MOD will issue medals only if they were never successfully issued (i.e not issued in error or returned undelivered & never claimed).

Craig

You've been brilliant! So we now know that he didn't join up at the beginning and was probably conscripted late 1916/early '17. He would have been 29/30 yrs old when his war started - poor man, it didn't last long but it must've been pure hell. I'm so glad I've found this forum. I've got such a lot of questions. Regards Lindsay

For comparison - #424166 was issued March 1917 . He would have served at home with another unit first for a period of time.

Craig

7 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

For comparison - #424166 was issued March 1917 . He would have served at home with another unit first for a period of time.

Craig

That's really useful - thankyou.