Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military number

Lindsay Hall

My grandfather,Leonard Luck, served in the Great War. On my mum's birth certificate in 1916 he is recorded as being a Packer in the 4th Battalion The Kings Royal Rifles no. 22432. We recently found one of his medals that says he was in the Ox & Bucks Light Infantry no 27036. Does anyone know if it was usual to have 2 service numbers? Thanks

2 minutes ago, Lindsay Hall said:

My grandfather,Leonard Luck, served in the Great War. On my mum's birth certificate in 1916 he is recorded as being a Packer in the 4th Battalion The Kings Royal Rifles no. 22432. We recently found one of his medals that says he was in the Ox & Bucks Light Infantry no 27036. Does anyone know if it was usual to have 2 service numbers? Thanks

It was quite common. Where a man changed regiments then he would be re-numbered (there wasn't a 'unique' army number at that time).

Craig

' Packer ' wasn't a term usually used for the army - are sure you that's what it says (and not Private) ?

Craig

Well,

He has 2 medal cards, one for WWI and one for post-wwi for 27036 L F Luck Ox & Bucks. General Sevice Medal and clasp Kurdistan issued 1924.

His normal medal card has the same details plus his WWI British War Medal and Victory Medal entry.

The medal rolls only show service as 27036 Leonard Frank Luck 1st Ox & Bucks LI. Probably his 22432 number in The Kings Royal Rifles relates to UK only service and he transferred to Ox & Bucks before going to France.

I'm not seeing him on the MOD service record list unless his birthday was 9/8/1899

TEW

3 minutes ago, Lindsay Hall said:

Thank you!! Now we just have to work out when and why he would have changed regiments. I'm grateful to you for reply Craig. Lindsay

If it was UK only as @TEW's info suggests then it could have been for any number of reasons - recovered from illness and the army needed him elsewhere, he had a skill that was needed overseas, he was fit and a battalion needed reinforcing elsewhere etc

Craig

He originally had three medals all to 27036 Ox & Bucks LI.

Below is indexed under Napoleonic Wars but is for his service in Iraq in 1919.

TEW

Clipboard01.jpg

Goodness!! I'm quite stunned by your speed of information!! I've been trying for months to find this out. It definitely says 'Packer' - (it says Pte. Leonard Frank Luck etc) - and we know he was a Pioneer in the East. We have a little brooch he brought back for my nan with Baghdad 1917-19. We can't find his service record anywhere, the same as Great Uncle Fred Keit who died at Passchendaele in November 1917. He was lost in Flanders mud and is remembered at Tyne Cot.

7 minutes ago, Lindsay Hall said:

Goodness!! I'm quite stunned by your speed of information!! I've been trying for months to find this out. It definitely says 'Packer' - (it says Pte. Leonard Frank Luck etc) - and we know he was a Pioneer in the East. We have a little brooch he brought back for my nan with Baghdad 1917-19. We can't find his service record anywhere, the same as Great Uncle Fred Keit who died at Passchendaele in November 1917. He was lost in Flanders mud and is remembered at Tyne Cot.

Open a new thread for Fred and we'll take a look.

Craig