The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Living in No Man's Land During the First World War

The Scorer

This is hopefully a link to an article published by The Smithsonian Museum giving details of the deserters who allegedly lived in No Man's Land during the First World War. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/legends-what-actually-lived-no-mans-land-between-world-war-i-trenches-180952513/

It all sounds pretty far fetched to me ... does anyone have any views, please? Thank you.

See Paul Fussell The Great War and Modern Memory pp.123-124 where he details the widespread 'Legend of the Wild Deserters'..

Fussell is clear that the stories represent fictional accounts functioning as 'trench legends' with a strong element of myth.

Fussell references several accounts used in the Smithsonian article, but also this from H Tomlinson

Once  ...  the Salvage Company had put out, as a trap, a basket containing food, tobacco, and a bottle of whisky.  But the following morning they found the bait untouched, and a note on the basket, "Nothing doing!"

H.M. Tomlinson Waiting For Daylight (1922), pp.180-181

Mark

Oh , and Fussell is a far better writer than the journalist who wrote this article!

Boyd's 'Salute of Guns' mentions the many British deserters hiding in High Wood, who were living off what they could take from the many dead bodies that lay around.

The Australian mini-series Anzacs (1985, with Paul Hogan) had an episode with deserters having some sort of their own kingdom in no man's land.

Roel

If we'd been there then, wouldn't we have told each other such stories to pass the long winter nights?

Subject has come up before, see this thread.  There should be other threads which I can't find. I have a hospital report on a man who claimed to have been taken POW 1/7/16 but escaped during allied barrage. His story was that he made it to a quarry and lived there with a German deserter for almost a year. May not even have been in No Man's Land and as he was treated for amnesia, originally he had no idea who he was, why he was in France -etc. Possibly a good ploy to tell the MPs.

TEW