Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldier - Drowned?

MotherMave

Hi, The soldier below was said, on the local WW1 Roll of Honour for Llandyrnog, to have drowned at sea, but as he was a driver in the Army I feel there has to be a story why he drowned, he was with the Horse Transport Depot, I wondered if there had been an accident getting the horses off a ship, but no ship is mentioned, or was the ship torpedoed?

On his CWGC Certificate the Cemetery has this ... " Most of the burials were made from the Alexandria hospitals, but a number of graves of December 1917 troop transports "Aragon" and "Osmanieh" which were sunk by torpedo and mine as they entered the port."     However the date doesn't coincide.

Commonwealth War Graves Commission

WILLIAMS, DAVID

Service No:T4/058348

Date of Death:02/06/1917

Regiment/Service:Army Service Corps Base Horse Transport Depot

Grave Reference: D. 140.

Cemetery:ALEXANDRIA (HADRA) WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY

Additional Information: Son of Edward and Jane Williams, of Llandynog, Denbigh.

Any help would be very much appreciated, many thanks in advance.   Regards, Mavis Williams 

Whilst researching the 8th Hant's they had three members drown during their time in the Middle East, all were whilst on recreational bathing parades.

All three incidents were mentioned in the War Diary, the W.D. might give a clue for your man.

Mavis,

This man may have drowned when the Cameronian was sunk by UC34 while she was carrying mules

There is a thread here where the ship is mentioned in post No.2

and there may be other threads on this ship if you search in the Ships & Navies section 

Edited by michaeldr

Hi Mavis,

Michael is correct. He's on a list of men (you can see in a record on FMP) previously reported as missing, subsequently reported as drowned on the Cameronian.

Regards

Chris

From the Naval History Net

CAMERONIAN, 5,861grt, defensively-armed, 2 June 1917, 50 miles NW by N ¼ N from Alexandria, torpedoed without warning and sunk by submarine, 11 lives lost including Master

Thank you so much Michael and Chris, also Graeme and T8Hants, who replied, it looks as though it would be the Cameronian, sadly I am not on FMP but on Ancestry.   I am trying to tell David's story for the Village and would like to know more, do you know of any other source where David's name might be mentioned?   I am so grateful for the help I always get on this forum.    Kindest regards, Mavis

So Sorry Oliver, I didn't mention you, my sincere apologies and I have just realized you helped me with another mystery - the Mary Ann Mandle and the Mary Sinclair and the UB-57., March 1918.    I am so grateful and sorry about my carelessness!  Regards, Mavis

The effects records just state he died "At Sea (Egypt)"

28 months qualifying service at time of death. Effects paid to his father, Edward.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

I've trawled the papers on FMP - only a short report from the Admiralty of the sinking is given.

Kath.

Thank you so much for replying Kath and Ken, the link you gave me was so helpful.   Many thanks again both.    Kind regards, Mavis