Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lance sergeant

Old Tom

I came across a reference to a soldier of the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment (I wonder what happened to that regiment) who was described as a Lance Sergeant. I had thought that that rank was the reserve of Guards regiments. Can anyone advise please?

The Loyals (assuming the questions isn't ironic!) ended up amalgamated into the Queen's Lancashire Regiment with the East Lancs and the South Lancs, then into the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment.

This thread seems to have a twin: 

It does. Mr Clifton replied in the same terms as me to the other one.

1 hour ago, Old Tom said:

I came across a reference to a soldier of the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment (I wonder what happened to that regiment) who was described as a Lance Sergeant. I had thought that that rank was the reserve of Guards regiments. Can anyone advise please?

All (or most) battalions had lance serjeants on strength at one time (as an appointment for a Corporal - http://www.1914-1918.net/whatbatt.htm - whether that is the case or not now I don't know.

Craig

The appointment of lance sergeant was discontinued in general use in 1946. I think the current use by the Guards should really be Local Sergeant.  (and local corporal for two-stripe lance-corporals).

Ron

The chap who was awarded a VC in Iraq appeared in the BBC's coverage of today's service at the Cenotaph. Regret his name escapes me. He was referred to a a Lance sergeant. His regiment was not metioned and I am far out of date with cap badges. He was wearing three stripes. 

He hasn't. 

Edited by Gareth Davies

Gareth,  

We are wandering away from the Great War.  However, the following is from Wikipedia:

'Beharry joined the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment in August 2001. After training at Catterick, he became a driver of Warrior armoured vehicles in C Company, 1st Battalion. Prior to Iraq, he served for six months in Kosovo and three months in Northern Ireland.'

This was the background I had in mind. I think your bland statement needs some support.

Old Tom

He remains PWRR.

He is employed extra-regimentally in an appointment based in Central London. His employment attaches him to a Guards unit, and as such he - as a corporal - is granted membership of the Sergeants Mess with the nominal rank of Lance Sergeant.

Common procedure - personnel attached to Guards battalions, such as REME, RAMC, AGC et al normally have the same privilege extended to them.

Many years ago in Fallingbostel, the Royal Hussars declined to allow the Coldstream Guards' L/Sgts into their WOs and Sgts Mess. They had adjacent barracks). It caused quite a stir at the time. The RH of course did not have L/Sgts. 

Slightly related to this, I discovered only yesterday that the 11th Hussars (one of the regiments that formed the Royal Hussars) had L/Sgts in 1911. There was no record of whether they were allowed to enter the Sgts Mess. I had always assumed the rank (appointment?) was the preserve of the infantry.  MG

Edited by Guest

No, it applied to the (line) cavalry as well. And, as you say, it was an appointment, not a rank.

Ron