The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Div Patch? Brigade or battalion patch

ATNOMIS

Pals

I've posted this in Postcards. Thought I'd ask Whats the Div Patch?

Thanks

Simon

14962879_10153841086622046_1522671912_n_

14962996_10153841086537046_939703017_n_z

Edited by ATNOMIS

Unable to find a heart used as a Divisional sign so probably a Brigade or battalion patch rather than Divisional.

Any unit using the the suits of cards for their patches would probably have used the heart. Others may know better, of course.

16 hours ago, Arthur said:

Hello Simon,

The 1st. Bn. Hertfordshire Regiment wore a maroon heart made of felt. No period of use or size.

Regards 

Arthur

Unfortunately that doesn't fit Arthur, as he appears to have a long (Hertfordshire was just 5 letters - HERTS) shoulder title with T above.

The Hertfordshire Yeomanry, as a cyclist unit from September 1917, also wore the same 5 letter title, but with Y above.

The 03 bandolier suggests either battalion transport, or a mounted unit.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hello Frogsmile,

Thank you for your information regarding my information regarding the maroon heart worn by the 1st Bn. Hertfordshire Regt. I didn't think for one minute that it was related to the soldier on the postcard because of the bandolier.

The information was given mainly to rule it out. There were only three other silhouettes that were heart shaped in the I-d pamphlet which as far as I'm aware didn't bear any resemblance to the soldier apart from the heart silhouette.

As for your information regarding the shoulder title. I could see that it was a lengthy title and it is a pity that we cannot make from it.

Regards 

Arthur

I'll repeat my answer in Postcards: it is the stylised ram's head of the Fourth Division, even if it might not look very ram-like. I once owned an SLI jacket with the same sign and know of another to the Rifle Brigade, both cut out to this shape. I know that's what it is, but you are obviously not convinced!

Good afternoon Wainfleet,

You'll have to excuse me but, this is the first time I have seen your message.

However, no excuses. On going back and looking at the formation sign again I wouldn't argue with your observation. I have just seen for myself whilst looking at a line drawing of the 4th Div' ram's head at an angle how we've been deceived into thinking that it was a heart shaped sign.

Regards.

Arthur

4 hours ago, Arthur said:

Good afternoon Wainfleet,

You'll have to excuse me but, this is the first time I have seen your message.

However, no excuses. On going back and looking at the formation sign again I wouldn't argue with your observation. I have just seen for myself whilst looking at a line drawing of the 4th Div' ram's head at an angle how we've been deceived into thinking that it was a heart shaped sign.

Regards.

Arthur

No excuses required Arthur! I was actually addressing OP and should have quoted his post to make that clear. He's already thanked me for my post in Postcards but I guess is not convinced as he is asking again here....:(