Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sitting MP unknown

Pavl

Hello to the forum.

Following such a marvelous response to my first unknown chap - here is the other one - this time from my side of the family.

On a plain postcard and very moth eaten.

Having tried to check on variations of the Military Police and found nothing to match this version on the cuff I am stumped.

Details coming in stages......

Regards - Pavl

sitting_2.jpg

Details.....

sitting_3.jpg

sitting_4.jpg

Thank you "ATNOMIS".

Dont think that is possible as previous chap is from a completely different family from different parts of the country with no known connections that I am aware of (and have done a decent bit family tree research).

This "MP" is within photographs of my family that includes a Rifleman from 2nd Bt RB,  Missing Somme 1916, and his brother-in-law a Private from 2nd Bt Royal Warwicks severly injured (Passchendaele 1917 - not comfirmed).

First chap is related to others from Buffs and Essex (both KIA) and RGA (survived).

Pavl.

And those last two details now .....

sitting_5.jpg

sitting_6.jpg

I've alerted Toby Brayley from the RMP Museum in case he can shed any light.

I would agree he is Canadian,   I do not recognise the cap badge (I will leave that to someone with a better knowledge of Canadian regiments as I know very little). The wearing of the armlet (with British units) on the lower left cuff would usually indicate a Regimental Policeman (etc) of some kind.  Often seen with a mix of RP or MP armlets worn on the cuff, some often unique to regiments.

The Canadian Military Police Corps did not come into existence until 1917, but they had a small detachment prior to that, usually wearing the Canadian maple leaf cap badges and collar badges and the MP armlet worn on the left cuff. Overseas they appear to wear their parent cap badges. So it is very possible that this chap is a Canadian Military Policeman.

Regards Toby

*Edit*

Interesting link here. That I think backs up my opinion.

http://mpmuseum.org/ww1badge1.html

Edited by Toby Brayley

Thank you for those replies.

Indeed there is a Canadian connection in the family so this makes sense.

I will have a close look at that link for the Canadian MP.

Much obliged - Pavl

Possibly 109th Battalion CEF.  This unit did not leave the UK and was broken up in 1916.

109%20cef_zps3ezg1zij.jpg

He is certainly a Canadian, as mentioned by gordon92.  The term MP was used by regimentally appointed policeman at that time for the small section of men, under the Provost Sergeant, that was responsible for internal discipline within each battalion, or discrete unit.  These men were sometimes 'brigaded' (combined) to form Garrison Military Police and sometimes aided the very small elements of Military Foot Police and Military Mounted Police who operated at formation level under the command of Provost Marshals.

Edited by FROGSMILE