Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dress uniform unknown regiment

Pavl

Hello to the forum.

I have this photograph but cannot identify the regiment and do not have a name.

Will put up enlargement of collar and belt on second post.

Can anyone help please?

Who_6.jpgWho_4.jpg

And for the collar and belt .....

Who_2.jpgWho_3.jpg

Regards - Pavl

He is a member of the Royal Artillery (Royal Field Artillery or Royal Garrison Artillery). If you look closely in the photo showing the General Service Belt Buckle, you can just make out the wheeled Gun and Crown button worn by the RA units.

Sepoy

You might find the discussion on this picture in this topic interesting too

G.Buckingham1.jpg

[Photo copyright Pal Drew-1918]

The two riflemen are LRB.  There are close-ups of belt buckle, cap badge and cuff/prize badge in the subsequent posts.

Sepoy - over there we've put him as a Volunteer/TF gunner because of 1. the Austrian knotwork on the cuff, 2. his brothers were in the LRB, and 3. he had a day job!

Are we correct about #1?

Mark

Edited by MBrockway

Personally, I would say that these guys are regulars and they did wear the Austrian knotwork. I am uncertain what uniforms were worn by the Volunteers (Volunteers possibly wore white metal insignia, whilst Regulars wore brass). May be Frogsmile can advise.

There was a discussion of RA uniforms here.

Sepoy

Edited by Sepoy

It looks like the Austrian knot at the cuff being an indicator of VF/TF is only reliable with infantry then.

As you say, Frogsmile can likely give us some guidance on this.

Thank you all for such a quick and detailed response.  Looks as if the chap I "wanted" it to be is now highly unlikely.  So will do a bit more digging.

Meanwhile ... will post the second unknown I have (as a new post).

Best regards - Pavl

An Austrian knot on an infantryman indicates Rifle Volunteer/Volunteer Battalion and then later, Territorial Force until eventually being abandoned.  Both the RA (incl all its branches) and the RMA wore an Austrian knot on their cuffs but the latter had a special pattern in elongated form and wore worsted cloth collar grenades instead of gilding metal iin full dress.  Hope that helps.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

An Austrian knot on an infantryman indicates Rifle Volunteer and then later, Territorial Force until eventually being abandoned.  Both the RA (incl all its branches) and the RMA wore an Austrian knot on their cuffs but the latter had a special pattern in elongated form and wore worsted cloth collar grenades instead of gilding metal iin full dress.  Hope that helps.

Perfectly!

Cheers :thumbsup:

With respect to Drew's specific photo of the four brothers, the two other brothers being volunteers in the LRB strongly suggests this gunner will also be VF, but from uniform alone we cannot be certain.

Edited by MBrockway

12 hours ago, MBrockway said:

Perfectly!

Cheers :thumbsup:

With respect to Drew's specific photo of the four brothers, the two other brothers being volunteers in the LRB strongly suggests this gunner will also be VF, but from uniform alone we cannot be certain.

Volunteer gunners originally had red instead of yellow bands on their head dress and white braided knots instead of yellow, but I think that changed to be the same as regulars when the TF were formed in 1908.

I also forgot to mention that the RV/VB braid was thin (flat) and in 5 colours, red, blue, green, white and black with the colour worn according to regimental tradition.  Both RA and RMA braid was thick (round cord) and in golden yellow.

Edited by FROGSMILE