Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HSC which regiment was this?

Tamiru

Hello, I'm trying to find out more about a family members service history.  His name was Alfred J Frankum DM2/179552 and his medal card states his unit was 'HSC', I can't find out online which part of the army this was though? Thank you

That'll be ASC for Army Service Corps.

NA certainly has it so: see here

There are some good posts here to decode the DM2 service number prefix.   A search should turn them up!

The handwriting does look like it could be an 'H' but it's actually an 'A', e.g. ASC rather than HSC.

The medal and award rolls name him as Alfred Joseph Frankum of the Royal Army Service Corps.

Thank you so much for that.  So it's not possible then for me to learn where/when he served? Were the service corps all divied out amongst the regiments? His cousin worked as a driver/chauffeur before and then during the war so perhaps he had taught him how to drive back in Kent :) 

Edited by Tamiru

In general, DM2 class were all Mechanical Transport motor driver learners, and needed to undergo training on how to drive, lorries usually, cars and tractors also when they joined up, usually in Grove Park in South East London.

Someone who could already drive, such as your uncle were given M,M1 or M2 prefixes.

Horse transport drivers would be T prefixes.

ASC Mechanical Transport was organised in individual companies, and were generally working behind the lines, taking supplies and ammunition to ASC Horse Transport units to take forward to the divisional areas. Some MT drivers were attached to Motor Ambulance Convoys which were part of the chain of casualty evacuation.

Ron

Tamiru

Having had a quick look on Ancestry, I regret to say that it doesn't seem as though his service record has survived.

Without this, I'm afraid to say, it will be almost impossible to trace his movements.

I don't have a sub for FMP, but it's possible that the service record could be there.

The ASC were everywhere the army had a transport requirement.

That literally was everywhere on land.