Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Acronym to decypher please.

CROONAERT

Can anyone decipher the acronym 'H.C.I.T.' please?

It originates from the papers of a Belgian soldier (a fortress infantryman taken prisoner at Liege in August 1914) and I cannot for the life of me think what it is and it doesn't appear in any of my listings of French Army acronyms but, perhaps, some Belgian acronyms differed from the French (actually, there's no 'perhaps' about it.... some certainly did!).

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers.

Dave

Various (1).jpg

Hi Dave,

A very long shot but did he participate in the occupation of Germany following his release from captivity ? If it refers to his service post 1918, some of the "commandments" might fit. If so HCIT(R) - there seems to be the start of a fifth letter - could be "Haute commission interalliée des territoires rhénans"

Steve

Thanks Steve. It's certainly a possibility. He was repatriated on 31st December 1918, but he was a career soldier and continued serving full time until 1927 (he enlisted in June 1907), then as a reservist  (last 'stamp' being 1939, though he received a service award as late as 1963!!!). There's nothing in his paperwork regarding being part of the occupying force, but it's certainly highly likely that he would have been at some point. And, yes, I see your point regarding the '10 commandments'... they certainly would fit (I'd presumed that they might have been a code of conduct whilst in Germany as a PoW, but a set of rules for a post-war occupying force would fit better).

Hard to tell whether there would have been a 5th letter on the original (it appears to be a full stop following the acronym, but it's a bit 'chewed' at this point, so is difficult to see... I'm not sure if there was enough room on the paper for it anyway (he may have purposely left it out for this reason?), but , being an unofficial note, I don't suppose it mattered at the time.

Thanks again,

Dave

Just for interest, here're two images (pre and post war) of the same man (one from October 1907 after his promotion to corporal and the other from circa 1919 after his return to service following repatriation (looks like he borrowed something from the Kaiser while he was in Germany!!! :lol:  )

Dave

1908.jpg

1919.jpg

Thanks for posting, Dave; where in Belgium was he from ?

Steve

He was born at Vliermael, Limbourg (Vliermaal, Limburg), but was a resident of Liege (city) at the time of his enlistment. His residence later was at Glain (now a suburb of Liege?)... rue du Centre No.12.

Dave