Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Robert Jones, RASC (MT) & Yorkshire Light Infantry

dink999

My interest in this man is twofold.

1. He was the first professionally appointed Chief Fire Officer of Cheltenham Fire Brigade in April 1938

2. His WW1 service details which I am having trouble locating, as you might expect with his name being James Jones and I am hoping some one can help in finding more information about him in the war.

This is what I know.

In the newspaper article dated 16 April 1938 detailing his appointed as Chief Fire Officer he is referred to as J. R. Jones and frustratingly in every subsequent article about him his first name is never used. I have found  details in the Council Minutes that give his name as James R Jones and in the 1939 register he is in Cheltenham with his wife Evelyn with a date of birth given as 8th Sept 1896.

There is a birth registered in Lancashire in Sep qtr. 1896 and a death of a James Robert Jones in 1979, whose birth date is recorded a the 8th Sep 1896.

So I am fairly confident that J. R. Jones is James Robert Jones 1896-1979

The article about his appointment details his war record, stating that he served throughout the war in the Royal Army Medical Corp (Military Transport) and the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and was awarded the Mons Star.

I have tried numerous searches with various combinations of his forenames etc but none of the men in the results seem to fit, including  67153, James Robert Jones, RAMC who joined up in 1916.

Dave

Jones_Fire_Chief_Chronicle_18_April_1938.JPG

Edited by dink999

Hello

This one is a bit of a mystery! The only other James Robert Jones i can find is 112626,2/6th Kings Liverpool, then he went to 15th Bn Kings Lancaster number 29397, then tranfered to the RASC 9/12/18 as T/540194, but this chap has not got the 1914 star. I got this info from the BWM/Victory medal roll.

Cannot find him on the 1914 star roll or 14/15 star roll under KOYLI or RASC. An odd one. Sorry i cannot be of more help,

Best of luck

Chris

On 03/11/2016 at 09:03, dink999 said:

The article about his appointment details his war record, stating that he served throughout the war in the Royal Army Medical Corp (Military Transport) and the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and was awarded the Mons Star.

You mean Royal Army Service Cops?

33 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

You mean Royal Army Service Cops?

Or perhaps Royal Army Service Corps? :)

Moonraker

4 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

Or perhaps Royal Army Service Corps? :)

Moonraker

I'm excused.

I have a bad cold, and my nasal mucus has gummed up my keyboard!

A possibility 

Pte J R Jones  M2/114199     Army Service Corps

Awarded the 15 Star

Regards Ray

Edit Ancestry LINK

Edited by RaySearching

Thanks for those who have given this some thought, it does seem to fit that James Robert Jones born 1896 is the same man who became a Chief Fire Officer, but that of course means if the report about him having the 1914 star is correct he was only 17/18.

I'm going to try and find James and his family in the census to see if that helps in some way.

Dave