The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Diyarbakirli Tahsin, Turkish marine artist, 1875-1937

seaJane

I was recently pointed in the direction of this artist and have been enjoying leafing (clicking, as it's been online?) through his work.

Some of his paintings portray events or ships in the Dardanelles battles, but I have no idea if he served with the Turkish forces.

sJ

For example https://www.mutualart.com/Artist/Diyarbakirli-Tahsin/C6B13DEE8B89A6B3

New artist to me, great paintings! Never heard of the man but 'Diyarbakirli' means 'From Diyarbakir', suggesting that may be his origin - a long way from the sea!

Julian

PS: You are up early or late... Our clocks did not go back and so it is a three hour difference between us!

I was up late. Night-owl mode.

I have found some bits and pieces about him (with a photograph) on a Turkish web site - http://www.biyografya.com/biyografi/4522 

Tahsin Bey, from Diyarbakir, seems to have been quite a well-known and popular artist! As for military service, well he joined the cavalry in 1895, then went to the Army Map Department, and was promoted to captain in 1906, and a major in 1914. The web site seems to suggest that he remained in the Map Department 1914-1918 while also working as an art / drawing teacher at Erkan-i Harbiye-i Umumiye, which was the General Staff Council, and that he was ordered by the Imperial Palace to go to Çanakkale and paint the "Battle of Çanakkale". Went to Hungary to recuperate from something and came back with a 'beautiful / glamourous'(!) Hungarian wife. Oh, and he exhibited at the 1918 Vienna Exhibition, apparently the first foreign painting exhibition of the Ottoman Empire, and so probably the last also! He showed seven pieces there, among them "The French Cruiser Bouvet's Sinking at Gallipoli", "Barbaros and Turgut Reis", and the "Maritime War". 

So, a cavalry chappie who became an excellent marine painter! 

Julian

How interesting - thanks Julian!