Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Herbert Silvester

Hey just wounding him any one knows about one of my relatives named Herbert Silvester. I have been researching about my family in WW1. I found out he has brother also in the war. Could you help me? Thank you

• Admin

There are quite a few men with that name.

Can you provide any further background e.g. any middle names, Regiment, service number, DoB, birth place and residence, names of other family members etc etc etc

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

I never new sorry I believe he is Yorkshire or Lancashire regiment. That's the last thing I new. He was born in near Stafford. Other than that I don't know anything else about him but I want to find out more.

Cal

• Admin

With such a lack of additional information, I think this will be difficult.

You could have a look at FMP or Ancestry (free access at your local library) to see if there are any surviving service records for a man with that name.

Regards

Russ

It looks to me like this can fit as you seem to have some detail in mind.

Herbert Silvester. 20156. Private. Yorks and Lancaster Regiment.

Born Hellenhall, Eccleshall, Staffordshire.

Enlisted Stafford.

First landed in France 4.5.1915 with 1 Battalion, which fought there until Oct 1915 with 83 Infantry Brigade of 28 Division when it was posted to Salonika. I guess that Herbert would have left this Battalion for reasons of sickness or wounds and on return posted to 2 Battalion in France. 1 Battalion was involved in the Battle of Loos in Sept 1915 and received heavy casualties there, so it might be possible that he was wounded there and withdrawn to recover. In the meantime the Battalion left for Salonika without him.

Later joined 2nd Battalion, a part of 16 Infantry Brigade of 6 Division, and was killed in action on 25.9.1916 on the first day of the Battle of Morval (one of the Battles of the Somme which ran from 25 to 28 September) where his group were fighting to capture Lesboeufs, and did so later.

Previously served at home with North Staffordshire Regiment. 11591.

I now note that he has an entry in Forces War Records for 1916, can't say what it says because I don't have a subscription. It may show his death or a wound etc. I believe that you can have a free trial there.

Edited by sotonmate