Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War POW camps at Senne & Munster 1, Westphalia, Germany

Th'owdfeller

I've just discovered that my late grandfather was interned after being wounded & captured at Ypres. He was initially sent to Munster 1 in February 1916 then transferred to Senne  in February 1917, where I assume he remained until the cessation of hostilities. Does anyone have any information about either (or both) of these camps, photos,  sketches information etc.? Any contributions would be welcome and gratefully received.

If you want to get a picture of what life was like for POWs you should have a read of The War Behind The Wire: The Life, Death and Glory of British Prisoners of War, 1914 -18 by John Lewis-Stemple and Silent Battle: Canadian Prisoners of War in Germany 1914 - 1919 by Desmond Morton.  Both give accounts of prisoners experiences which I found fascinating and depressing at the same time but I thought they were excellent reads. Also if you go to the Internet Archive and search for Sennelager you will this account from POWs of their experiences. There are lots of stuff you will find interesting on that site.

Best Wishes

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/11/2016 at 13:06, ss002d6252 said:

Who was he ?

Thanks for your reply, he was Pte 16804 Sherlock, James Henry, of the Kings Own Royal Lancs regiment. Mike

Craig 

On 01/11/2016 at 13:58, Scotsmac said:

If you want to get a picture of what life was like for POWs you should have a read of The War Behind The Wire: The Life, Death and Glory of British Prisoners of War, 1914 -18 by John Lewis-Stemple and Silent Battle: Canadian Prisoners of War in Germany 1914 - 1919 by Desmond Morton.  Both give accounts of prisoners experiences which I found fascinating and depressing at the same time but I thought they were excellent reads. Also if you go to the Internet Archive and search for Sennelager you will this account from POWs of their experiences. There are lots of stuff you will find interesting on that site.

Best Wishes

Keith

Many thanks for your reply Keith, I will certainly make a point of reading those books and finding the  information about Sennelager. Thanks again, Mike.