Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Glengarry/regiment ID request

Pat Atkins

Can anyone help identify this man's regiment, or narrow the field down? Can't see anything of note except for the glengarry and I'm no expert. 

The man is my mother's grandfather, John Palmer of Kirkandrews in Kirkcudbrightshire, and he was believed to have served in the KOSB in the Middle East, though I've never found a definite MIC for him; he was born in 1877 so would have been around 40. He had one son, Jim, in the Scottish Rifles and another, Tom, in the RAF, and was said to have met the (so far similarly MIC-less) Cameronian by chance in Egypt during the War - which suggests 52nd (Lowland) Division's 155th and 156th Brigades prior to March 1918. The glengarry looks potentially KOSB to me, but I'm aware it's not as simple as that: any help gratefully received, as ever. 

Cheers, Pat.

John Palmer GW.pdf

Could be Seaforth, Gordons, Royal Scots or KOSB, but the lack of kilt points more towards KOSB or Royal Scots.

There are a number of medal cards for men called John Palmer who served in the KOSB, however a couple of them lost their lives.  A quick search indicates that at least two survived, Privates 30131 and 21432.  However they do not appear to be recorded as serving in the 1st Bn, 1/4th Bn. or 1/5th Bn (which served in the middle east).

Edited by Ron Abbott

Thanks for this, Ron - very helpful in narrowing it down. I couldn't really fit 30131 and 21432 to what is known/believed about my man either, but there's not much to go on really! May remain a mystery. 

Cheers, Pat

I would agree that the subject, with neither cap badge nor shoulder title visible, could be Royal Scots or KOSB.  Royal Scots Fusiliers would also be possible.

Thanks for this, I hadn't considered RSF either so there's another possible avenue of research. While 5th KOSB was his local battalion*, I struggled to find a MIC that fits - will look at the Royal Scots and RSF.

Cheers, Pat

*I realise that he may have enlisted/been called up after the cessation of "local" allocation to battalions like this, but - you have to start somewhere...