Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SILVER WAR BADGE

myosotis

Hello I have my Grandfathers WW1 medals and a silver war badge which he received after being discharged from war wounds on Feb 11th 1919 ,however on doing research on the silver badge the number does not match his records .Record states badge number as       

B 158174 .The badge I have is RN 16798 and I cannot find a record of it . My Grandfather served in the Kings Liverpool Reg

William Ernest Boulter number 204205, I also had his discharge certificate which I lost during a clear out of my loft years ago .

Could anybody throw some light on the name of the person the badge is linked to it may be a family member of my Grandad.

other names linked to him are --Stevens/Sammons all families are from Liverpool.I would be grateful for any input.

Regards from Chris [myo]

1 hour ago, myosotis said:

...The badge I have is RN 16798 and I cannot find a record of it ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_War_Badge

"The Royal Navy had a separate prefix, which was 'RN', there were at least 43,000 badges issued."

The obvious next question would be - did you have any relatives served in the Navy in WW1...?

Hi Chris

Simplest answer is that the original badge was lost and at some point someone had bought a replacement.

That's what I did, so in my granddad's case the badge I have with his medals does not match up with his Records. [Better the wrong badge than no badge!]

Other than that maybe 134165 Petty Officer James Thomas Atwill is in your family tree somewhere!

Best wishes

Graham

13 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Hi Chris

Simplest answer is that the original badge was lost and at some point someone had bought a replacement.

That's what I did, so in my granddad's case the badge I have with his medals does not match up with his Records. [Better the wrong badge than no badge!]

Other than that maybe 134165 Petty Officer James Thomas Atwill is in your family tree somewhere!

Best wishesGraham

Hi Graham thanks for info having probs replying not heard of name Atwill in family will do some research my grandad had 5 or 6 sisters so maybe the husband of one of them .There may have been 2 silver badges as Grandad had a few other items and I may have picked wrong badge as I didn't know about the numbers when I was given it in 1950s  

Cheers Chris