Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Avonbank Convalescent Hospital Pershore Worcs

sdjknox

Hello,

I have attached a photo of what I believe was called the Avonbank Convalescent Hospital Pershore. This was formerly the family home of the Marriotts and is currently the renowned Pershore Horticultural College Worcestershire.

That is the total knowledge that I have and seemingly the local history group. I wonder if any Forum Pals can provide some more details such as how long it was open, is my naming as a Convalescent Hospital correct and perhaps from the photo is there any more information to be gleaned, such as does the flag reveal anything, the uniforms and hats?

Generally, naively I wonder was the intention that Convalescent Hospitals had patients who originally came from that region or if not what was the method of allocation of patients?

Both Pershore and nearby Evesham have railway stations and I presume these were used to transfer in the patients.

Thanks very much for your interest.

Steve 

5.5.15 061.JPG

Hi Steve

Owen Lowry Wynne-Marriott, died 1921 was the owner of the Mansion House at the top of Wick Hill....searching

Regards Barry

The chap in the middle bending down is no doubt wearing his "hospital blue" uniform, I understand that patients could wear their own individual regimental hats, don't know what the lighter coloured uniforms are.

I'm sure the experts will.

See above thread.

Edited by The Inspector

Moonraker and The Inspector,

Many thanks for your interesting replies and taking the time to increase my knowledge of this aspect of WW1 from an admittedly very low point. Hopefully I shall get some help with both generalities and some more information about this specific Convalescent Hospital. Although the photograph is black and white any ideas please as to what the flag could be please?

Regards,

Steve

Hi Again

Trade Directory for 1916 lists Avon Bank as the Private Residence of Owen Lowry Wynne-Marriott

Regards Barry

Hi Steve and all

Could be a "Red Ensign" ?

Regards Barry

There was an Admiralty connection between O L W-Marriott as probate was granted to the King's Admiralty Proctor and a Surgeon Commander of the RN.

Edited by The Inspector

8 minutes ago, The Inspector said:

Hi Steve and all

Could be a "Red Ensign" ?

Regards Barry

With a Government Service connection perhaps more likely a Blue Ensign?  Or could Marriott have had RNR background?

Hi Barry,

I know almost as little about flags as nursing and although it looked like a "red duster" didn't have the nerve to suggest it! Well if it is why is it being flown? You cannot get much further from the sea than here in Pershore!! 

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Hi All

• He was a Marshall of the High Court of the Admiralty, Ireland. When he married he added his wife's maiden name to become Wynne-Marriott.
  • Regards Barry

Thanks to Barry for the full Marriott name and MBrockway I have just done some investigation and found a Royal Naval connection and therefore the flag is not red but blue in all probability.

The late Owen Lowry Wynne-Marriott, Esq., Marshal (ret.) of the High Court of Admiralty of Ireland, formerly. Royal Navy, b. 1840; d. 1921 ; m. 1895

Regards,

Steve

Hi all,

Back to the basics from my first post, can anyone help with

1) when did the hospital open and close?

2) any information as to who was in charge? I shall be intrigued to see if any of the Wynne-Marriott family male or female has a role!

Thanks,

Steve 

• 2 years later...

Hi All,

The conversation finished a long while ago, but in case anyone is still interested and of some relevance to the history of the building and the first member of the Marriott family to occupy Avonbank.

Avonbank was built by my 4xgreat uncle Thomas Hudson and sold circa 1820 for £16,500 to Major General Thomas Marriott of the Lodge near Tewkesbury.

Please see below an extract of part of the will of Thomas Hudson (1783-1846). Rgds, George Hudson (Wick)

image.png.c2cac1a71016e20148b2fb97e1e6a33e.png

3 hours ago, George Hudson said:

Hi All,

The conversation finished a long while ago, but in case anyone is still interested and of some relevance to the history of the building and the first member of the Marriott family to occupy Avonbank.

Avonbank was built by my 4xgreat uncle Thomas Hudson and sold circa 1820 for £16,500 to Major General Thomas Marriott of the Lodge near Tewkesbury.

Please see below an extract of part of the will of Thomas Hudson (1783-1846). Rgds, George Hudson (Wick)

image.png.c2cac1a71016e20148b2fb97e1e6a33e.png

Hello George and welcome, 

Your relative certainly did a good job, a fine building, thanks for the info.

I'm in Pershore, and two of my lads have both been to the college recently. I keep meaning to go to the heritage centre to see if any records from the convalescent home survive but whenever I remember it always seems to be shut.

Dave.

Edited by Dave66

Hi Dave

I did a little bit more research and have some Marriott family history because another 4xgrt aunt of mine married William Marriott at Pershore Abbey in 1804 although she was widowed within a year as he died when there were in India. Harriot Julia Catherine Marriott married Owen Lowry Wynne from County Sligo/Ireland in 1895 and they changed their last name to Wynne-Marriott (so he came into the property via his wife and as they did not have any children the Wynne-Marriott name was created and lasted just for that marriage) - he died in 1921 but she was there during the last war dying in jan 1942. - you can see from the newspaper report of her death below. She left her estate to her sister Marion married to Rev Fielding Ottley - they had children but I am not sure when the property was sold - I don't think the Ottleys ever lived there. best wishes George

image.png.af3f8b624b015ca30c8b01277ae4b172.png

1 hour ago, George Hudson said:

Hi Dave

I did a little bit more research and have some Marriott family history because another 4xgrt aunt of mine married William Marriott at Pershore Abbey in 1804 although she was widowed within a year as he died when there were in India. Harriot Julia Catherine Marriott married Owen Lowry Wynne from County Sligo/Ireland in 1895 and they changed their last name to Wynne-Marriott (so he came into the property via his wife and as they did not have any children the Wynne-Marriott name was created and lasted just for that marriage) - he died in 1921 but she was there during the last war dying in jan 1942. - you can see from the newspaper report of her death below. She left her estate to her sister Marion married to Rev Fielding Ottley - they had children but I am not sure when the property was sold - I don't think the Ottleys ever lived there. best wishes George

image.png.af3f8b624b015ca30c8b01277ae4b172.png

Certainly interesting history George. 

I popped into sedgeberrow books in the high street today for my weekly mooch, both David and I had a look through some of the local histories to find any info on avonbank during the Great War...not a thing, but not unsurprising. The heritage centre isn't open Again until April, they may well have some local snippets, failing that the Hive in Worcester holds all the local county archives.

i did find this though in an old postcard book by Marion freeman, but she states the house fell out of family ownership in 1940..does make you wonder if it had a ww2 history.

Dave.

image.jpeg

Edited by Dave66
Added photo