Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian soldier at 2 Ypres

teabreak

Any help appreciated with trying to find a Canadian soldier, who served with 16th Btn Canadian Scottish at Ypres in April 1915. lThe soldier's regimental number is 17092. A search at Canadian archives produces a different man with this number, but I understand that the CEF awarded numbers within regiments - meaning that the same number might be shared by men from different units. I cannot find the nominal roll for 16/Canadian Scottish online, which should detail the award of regimental numbers. Does anybody have a suggestion here? Thanks       

Thanks BSBFM. I should have been clearer - I only have a number, and am trying to find the name.

Thanks gordon92 - the problem I have here is that the soldier in question definitely gave his number as 17092 whilst leaving an account of having been in 16th Btn at 2nd Ypres - is this possible? 

The name is Adamson. I am not sure where the issue is? He served 7th bn until being SOS to Imperial Army 7-01-15. Reason for Discharge. Commission in New Army. Place of Discharge Lark Hill.  He was never with the 16th Bn from his records, Attested to the 7th Bn and discharged from the 7th Bn.., he was NOT with the 16th Bn at 2nd Ypres. 

There only appears to be one man with that number. You are correct that from time to time, a couple men could have the same number, but that is not the case here. 

Edited by Pylon1357II

You are right that the number tallies up with Maurice Adamson, who then transferred to a New Army battalion with a commission. The issue is that, after the war, somebody identifying themselves as "ex-17092 16th Battalion Canadian Scottish" published an account of having been at second ypres. This leaves a number of possibilities:

(1) The service number is wrongly quoted in the published account; or

(2) The service number is correctly quoted and the number was shared by another Canadian soldier;

(3)  The service number is correctly quoted, and the soldier in question was Adamson, who despite having left the CEF, somehow found himself with the 16th Btn on 22/23rd April.

Hope this clarifies the question.

(1) is a very strong possibility.

(2) in my opinion is out. Not other soldier shares that service number. 

(3) 22/23 April 1015. the 7th Bn were in France. but I do not where.  I don"t see in Adamson's records that he was in France though. Usually the records are quite clear in regards to movements,

I did find the following: 

• 17092-C-8
Imperial Gratuities, RG9-II-F-10, Finding Aid 9-56, Volume 246

Not sure what these gratuities are but looks like this man was NOT CEF. 

24 minutes ago, Pylon1357II said:

(1) is a very strong possibility.

(2) in my opinion is out. Not other soldier shares that service number. 

(3) 22/23 April 1015. the 7th Bn were in France. but I do not where.  I don"t see in Adamson's records that he was in France though. Usually the records are quite clear in regards to movements,

I did find the following: 

• 17092-C-8
Imperial Gratuities, RG9-II-F-10, Finding Aid 9-56, Volume 246

Not sure what these gratuities are but looks like this man was NOT CEF. 

Canadian Imperial Gratuities were a top up (although I've not looked in any depth at them for the fine points) paid to nationals who had enlisted in the British Army. More information should be here - https://doingourbit.wordpress.com/2016/11/02/background-on-canadas-imperial-war-service-gratuity/ - (It appears to be only a few days old).

Craig