Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lincolnshire Regiment - Which battalion?

stuart rowles

Alan James Rowles served in the Lincolnshire Regiment, then the Labour Corps, then the Royal Fusliers, then the Machine Gun Corps.

The Medal Rolls lists his pair as being for Lincolnshire Regiment, No. 37900, Private. There are no service papers.

Can anyone suggest a battalion?

Edited by stuart rowles
Wrong service number

His Lincolnshire Regiment number was 37900. Combined with the 25577 Labour Corps number that would suggest he was part of one of the Lincolnshire Regiment's Infantry Labour Companies - short-lived units that were converted to Labour Corp[s companies in mid-1917. It seems likely that he was somewhere around the line between being medically unfit for front line service and was transferred to the Royal Fusiliers (number 69067) when the line was lowered (or his medical issues improved). The list in Lee & Starling's No Labour No Battle should tell you which units of the Lincolnshire Regiment/Labour Corps he was with.

Edit: The Royal Fusiliers number suggests transfer to the RF at No 38 Infantry Base Depot at Etaples on 23 October 1917 - possibly to 20th Battalion.

Steve.

Edited by Stebie9173

Thanks Steve,

Where do I find this Lee & Starling list?

I've not heard of it. Is it a book?

A quick look in Williamson's "Collector and Researcher Guide to the Great War.....Part 1, Medals" page 414/415
shows his Labour Corps number 25577, to be in the range for the 4th Infantry Labour Company of the Lincs Regt.
Later mid to late -1917, to become the 43rd Labour Company.
The number range was from 25201 to 25800.

Edited by Bingo794

On 30/10/2016 at 11:03, stuart rowles said:

Thanks Steve,

Where do I find this Lee & Starling list?

I've not heard of it. Is it a book?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/No-Labour-Battle-Military-Historical/dp/0750956666