Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Douglas and Max Shepherd

Guest Graham Shepherd

Guest Graham Shepherd

The information on this site is wonderful as an ex reservist officer in Australia, it has made most interesting reading.

I am investigating the history of my family and assisting my son in a WW1 project for secondary school.

Two of our relatives fought in WW 1, my grandfather was 132934 Douglas Shepherd of the Machine Gun Corps and his brother 43043 Maxwell Shepherd of the Essex Regiment.

According to my father Douglas signed up when he was sixteen, was in the winning team for of the British Army for football- photograph to prove and  was gassed at Ypres and was invalided out of the army some time in 1918. Max was shot in the leg at another battle and according to a postcard written to Max from Douglas July 1917, Max was recuperating in 1 General Hospital in Edmonton.

To date all I have been able to secure is their medal cards which I purchased from the National Archives.

I have a photo of Douglas in uniform but the cap badge when I have matched to WW1 cap badges appears to be either that of the Honorable Artillery Company or Royal Fusiliers, the photos detail is not enough to distinguish. I have Max's 2 campaign medals and Douglas' MGC cap badge which until my research my father thought was his fathers.

Any information would be gratefully appreciated

tx

Hi Graham

The Service Medal and Award roll for the MGC shows Douglas Charles Shepherd, Private 132934 was discharged to the Army Reserve Class z on 20 November 1919.

Which would indicate ( I think) that he was fit and well when he left the army.

Ken

Edited by kenmorrison

Maxwell Shepherd, Private 43043 Essex Regiment [13th Battalion from Medal Roll] was awarded a Silver War Badge 293703.

He enlisted on 3 August 1915 and was discharged on 28 December 1917. He was 21 and a half years old and had served overseas.

Ken

Have looked on Ancestry.com and, apart from Medal index cards, can find no other military service records. Many WW1 soldiers service records were destroyed in WW2. I also found Maxwell's Silver War Badge entitlement. It states he was invalided in 1917 which ties with card date sent to him by Douglas. His SWB badge number is 293703. I can find no record of SWB for Douglas, perhaps he was invalided after the armistice.

However I have found a Douglas C Shepherd on 1901census records, born in 1899 in Teddington Middlesex, son of Elizabeth Brown and living at his grand parents home in Acton. His grand parents were William and Mary Brown. Also found Maxwell F Shepherd, on a different 1901 census record, born in Teddington 1897 but his parents were Joseph and Jessie Shepherd. He also had a sister Isabel. Unfortunately I cannot tie the brothers together on the same census record.

Edited by Lawryleslie

The family details are a bit confusing (to me!) but it does look like Douglas and Maxwell were the sons of Joseph and Jessie Shepherd.

National Probate Calendar has:

Maxwell Francis Shepherd of The Brake, Almer Road, Wimbledon, London SW 19, died 1 May 1961 at Wimbledon Hospital London SW 19. Probate London 25 July to Ellen Agnes Shepherd widow and Douglas Charles Shepherd bank official. Effects £48895 7s.

Maxwell F. Shepherd had married Ellen A. Dean in Willesden, Middlesex in the June Quarter 1922.

Joseph Shepherd married Jessie Alexandra Brown in Paddington June Q 1893 and in 1911 William &  Mary Brown were living with their daughters Elizabeth Lott Brown, 55 and Jessie Alexandra Shepherd, 48 a Widow.

Ken

• 6 years later...

My name is Peter Wormall and Maxwell Francis Shepherd was married to my Great Aunt, Ellen Agnes Dean. Therefore he was my Great Uncle by marriage. I have Max's 2 dress medals, one of which is from the Veterinary Corps. I live in Atherton, Far North Queensland, but am in England until tomorrow, 31st October, when I leave for home. The medals are in my possession because I brought them with me to hand over to my son.

Graham  do you still live in Australia?

With kind regards, Peter 

• Admin

Graham is no longer a member of the forum,  as denoted by Guest. We won’t hold any contact information for him. 

6 hours ago, Peter Wormall said:

Maxwell Francis Shepherd was married to my Great Aunt, Ellen Agnes Dean. Therefore he was my Great Uncle by marriage.

Peter, Welcome to GWF

Have you seen this disability pension card for Max after his discharge 27.12.17?

image.png.ebd666483646440f425b78225a6dee4a.png

Image thanks to WFA/Fold3

The 11/M/230198 is the Ministry of Pensions' claim reference for Region 11 [SE England incl London] / Military claim / Case no.

The 27/6 pw represented a 100% disability rate - a common initial rate at the start of a recovery and whilst the actual pension was better calculated

8/3 pw represented 30%

M