Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Shawcroft

George Shawcroft

I am researching my Great Uncle GEORGE SHAWCROFT Army Number 14017. He fought at Neuve Chapelle 1915 where he was shot through the face, and he was killed fighting at Ginchy with the 2nd Battalion Sherwood Foresters on 16th September 1916. Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

George,

You could do worse than consult the long long trail which will give great information on where to begin researching WW1 servicemen. There's a link on home page.

Simon

In the meantime, he has no known grave but is commemorated on the Thiepval memorial. His medal entitlement was the 15 star trio (meaning he served abroad before the end of 1915). I haven't tried too hard but can't find an obvious service record. To trace events surrounding his death you could do with reading his Battalions war diary which probably won't mention him by name but may give you a clear picture of the action which led to his demise. If you don't have a subscription to Ancestry use your local library as access is usually free, pension records may reveal a little more about him

Good luck

Simon