Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9892 Sgt Thomas Morgan MM 2nd East Lancs

punjab612

A very strange case I came across when assisting in research at a FH workshop.

The MIC is marked KIA though no mention of death on the medal roll, nor on the MIC for his MM.  He is no listed in the CWGC register, not in SDGW, no death certificate in Army death register.   No service or pension records available so a complete blank.  However, he is listed in Soldiers Effects Register with a date of death of 23 October 1916 and his soldiers will is available.

Any suggestions how I could take this enquiry further and have him commemorated on the CWCG?

Peter

That information should be enough to waken them up at C.W.Graves, to have his name added, I had to battle for  years with them, to get an Accrington Pal recognised, I even traced living relatives, and they wouldn't believe them either.

They said they would need a death certificate, yet I've seen a mans sevice papers, where the father is questioning the war office re his sons death, he is informed that a death certificate will not be issued.

morgan.JPG

East Lancs Star Roll embarked for France 6/11/14

Killed in action

Regards Ray

Many thanks for replies.  I'd missed the Star roll entry - another piece of supporting evidence.

Peter

Has anyone checked the newspapers? I've found the following references on Find My Past, but no mention of his death...

Manchester Evening News 20 October 1915

Manchester Evening News 20 October 1915.jpg

Burnley Express 16 September 1916

Burnley Express 16 September 1916.jpg

Burnley Express 10 January 1917

Burnley Express 10 January 1917.jpg

Thanks, Paul I hadn't picked up the 1915 wounded article.

I've also now found a posting as 'Missing' dated 6 January 1917.  Is there a specific time before a missing person is presumed dead?

Peter