The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kitty55

Hi

Firstly I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I can't find an answer anywhere else.

So here goes -

Not living close to London and being too ill to travel anyhow, I am trying to find the medal card for Wilfred Charles BACON, from Dereham born in 1897 to Charles Wilson Bacon (born Sudbury, Suffolk) and Ellen Mary Bacon (born Dereham, Norfolk)

Before anyone says anything else - I've found him but only on findmypast and so would have to pay £3.45 to the National Archives - and what with so many men to find from the town I'm beginning to feel very used by that particular site (FMP) - especially after paying year after year since they first began, for a full world membership.

Is there any other site I can find him on or am I yet again going to have to pay out for information which in my opinion should be included in the package deal - believe me I've complained to them no end.

Forces War Records don't have him; Ancestry don't; Genealogist - no; N&MA - no; livesoffirstworldwar.org as a sister etc. of findmypast again it's there but only via the national archive = paying again for it.

Of course I realise that the National Archives have to make their money but why only at the expenses of people who can't get there to search for it for free. - THIS REALLY ANGERS ME. Why can’t you get a year membership to them?

Yes I'm on my soapbox and as soon as I'm better from my op I'm having tomorrow I'll be campaigning again especially on Facebook - just like last time when FMP tried charging me twice as much for my membership one year - oh, and of course it was a mistake - funny that it wasn't until I complained bitterly that they changed their minds. Won't have minded too much it's just when they first started their site they asked all local historians to help and check their site for them, doing the needed corrections - I was one they approached - How quick some people/companies forget.

So is there any way of finding a Merchant Navy Medal Card without have into pay for it when you already belong to every search org available online - free or not.

Or is there some pleasant person who can tell me what's on it - that's all I need to know really - his service number, ship or anything? I've got all his other details. Census, parents, birth etc.

Please forgive me if I don't reply straight away like I normally would but I'll be out of action for a little while from tomorrow onwards. However all replies to this posting will go straight into my email account and so I should be able to get them either via my phone or I Pad next week when I'll be feeling a little better even if still in hospital.

Thanks and take care, Kitty

Kitty,

Findmypast has a Merchant Navy record for him in their 'Education and Work' section. This tells you he was a Wireless Operator, that he served on ship number 135582, and includes a photograph of him. Apologies if you already have this.You may be able to find his ship's name on the CLIP website, at http://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/vesselsnum.php

Regards,

Alf McM

Your local public library may well have a FMP subscription, give them a try.

HI Alf mcm

All I've found besides the medal record I'd have to pay for on findmypast is the

England & Wales Merchant Navy Crew Lists 1861-1913 Transcription

but I've found mo picture of him and nothing else on their other education and work listing and on the one above it only has a logbook for 1913 but no photos of anyone.

Don't know if it's because I'm off to hospital in 6 hours and I'm worried about that, and not surviving this time, but I'm in tears as I've been searching all this evening from 6pm trying to find something on him and now you say there's a photo - I can't find it at all - i just wanted to finish him off.

think I'll give up searching and writing my book now and stop wasting everyone's time. Sorry

Please can you tell me how to find that photo and his record as I just can't find a way/

thanks and take care, Kitty

So there's a photo of him - WHERE - All I can find are logbooks and none have his name in E. Bacon, even S. Lowe from town yes but no Wilfred Charles Bacon - if you do find it please don't be mean and send a link to it - I always do for others especially if I've a photogrpah or I've found on - saying it is no good if someone else can't find it still !!!

Hello Kitty,

If you go back to where you found the transcription and view it again, you will see a tab at the upper right of the page marked 'Image'. Click on this and you will see the record card, plus Wilfred's photograph.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi Kitty

Alf McM has given you the correct information and there is a copy of his CR10 card from BT 350 on findmypast (fmp) with a photo. His RS2 No is 202423 and his discharge number is 940393.

I have looked at his card and I read his birthplace as' E Dereham Eng.' now that you have informed us that he was from Dereham, (Norfolk?). However fmp have transcribed it as 'Durham' which is an understandable mistake and this may be the reason you haven't found his record. Are you still subscribing to fmp?

Contact me directly if you still can't find his CR10 card on fmp.

best wishes

ernestjames

Hi

Many apologies to all - Feeling just as they said I would after having gallbladder & cystic duct removed, yesterday - one doctor said Kicked by a cow and another knocked down by a car - don't know which would be worse as I've had neither happen to me.

Anyway - thanks I have found him now as I got fed up with being in bed - made my back ache, as did every sofa etc in house except my beautiful large leather study chair. It's so comfy - however having been up now for a couple of hours need to sleep again.

Thank you all for your help - I must have just had a mental block through worry otherwise I think I'd have looked under Durham, Deerham etc I normally do.

THe funny thing is I've got a postcard of three brothers from town who I've been trying to identify - he's one of them - so a very good result for me

THANKS A MILLION and I found extra info on two others from town in my search for him.

thanks and take care, Kitty

Edited by Kitty55
mistakes

Hi Kitty

Wilfred Charles Bacon was my maternal grandfather; sadly I never knew him as he died in 1968. One of his daughters, Kathleen Anne (nee) Bacon, is my mum. I'm intrigued, as I think he only had one brother that made it into and beyond childhood (Frank Leonard Bacon). If you're able to send me copies of any info you have I'd be extremely grateful  a.foale[at]virgin.net  Likewise, I've not subscribed to these sites.

In WW1 he indeed served as a wireless operator on City of Rangoon and City of Karachi. At least one of them served as a Hospital ship off South Africa at some point, and he was on deck when it was scraped by a torpedo (that failed to detonate).  He also saw his best friend killed during the war (I don't know the circumstances) and consequently said very little about his war years to his family. During WW2 he was an ARP warden and sweet factory owner in London.  To my knowledge, his wife (Gladys Edna Mary Bacon) would have got rid of his medals shortly after his death.

Can I ask how you'very heard of him...?

Kind regards

Ashley

Edited by Ashf9999
Spelling & expanded

Hi Ashley

At present I'm still recovering from my operation and so am not allowed to bend down which prevents me looking in my filling cabinet where all my information is listed. I’ve got 11TGB on my computer about Dereham so it’s too big to just search through it as it became too difficult to cross reference every aspect I’ve covered – i.e. War, shops, pubs, houses, streets, amenities, schools, services etc. I did start off that way but then put Access 2003 on my large computer several years ago and it simply wiped all my database from Access 2000 – three years down the drain – so now it’s done via a hand hard copy. Even the backup was useless as the two programmes weren’t compatible – that’s what you get for being one of the first to use Access 2003.

But I’ll try from memory – which people tell me is good – though at times I’m not that sure it is.

So to answer your question here’s how -

I simply came across his name as I'm trying to write a book on Dereham during the First World War. However besides just covering the town I thought it would make the book more interesting if I found out where and what happened to some of the 1760 + lads from the town who went off to fight.

So I simply took the Dereham Roll of Honour, cross referenced it with the Absent Voters Lists of 1918/1921 then with FMP, ancestry and other sites, added a few lists like the Dereham Oddfellows Roll of Honour and those who enlisted and worked at Hobbies in town.

Then having recorded all excerpts in the local paper during the war period started working my way through them.

I’ve started with all those I have letters from who wrote home during the period and their relatives and am still going through them.

As yet all I’ve done on Wilfred is to do a basic search for him in FMP and ancestry. I’ve still got more searching to do. However having said that as I’ve now got a photograph of him I will be featuring him in a side column in the book – probably something to do with the merchant navy as he’s not the only one but then nor was he the only wireless operator ‘buzzer’ from town either. So I’m not sure yet where he will go as yet.

Can I wait until I’ve gathered more information on him before I email you please? I’ve put your email into my notifying list so I shan’t forget. Equally anything you have on him i.e. family information or photographs would be appreciated this end.

When I’ve compiled the final double page that he’s on I’ve forward you a copy but that won’t be until next year.

There is one other BACON on the Dereham Roll of Honour but he was killed at Gaza and named Ernest Walter, he doesn’t seem to be any relation to Wilfred though. I’ve already covered most of the cenotaph heroes and have a photograph of him too. He’s one of the twenty odd that either died or were wounded in Palestine or earlier in Gallipoli and so have several pages to allocated to them – most of them being in the 1/5th Norfolks, especially as their depot was in Dereham.

There seems to be a misunderstanding on this site now, as I belong to FMP, ancestry, genealogist, naval & military archive, Imperial War Museum , Forces War records, and British Newspapers – so basically all of them – hence it can take a while until I’m satisfied that I’ve thoroughly researched a person or family properly.

You say about Frank Leonard Bacon being his brother - that rings a bell but nothing to do with the war - I'm sure I've come across that name in the local papers - but where - well that's the question. I've done 90 years of the paper from 1880 - 1970 and it could be anywhere in that lot  - before access went tits up it was all catalogued - but not any more and I'm not spending another four years doing all of it again. Finding it could take some time as there are roughly 5,000 photos for each year. Yep 've been doing this for almost 50 years now - well before computers existed. However when I normally say it'll take some time I'll usually come across it looking for something else.

Another thing  - obviously the post card I have which looks like him on it either isn't or he's with friends who went at the same time - I've had that happen before. See most times researchers are helped a lot by family members. As I say Live and learn. live and learn.

You can either PM me or contact me via my email which can be found under Kitty55.

Alternatively here it is - kittylynn@btinternet.com

Hope this is alright.

Thanks and take care, Kitty