Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Names on the Ring of Remembrance at Notre Dame de Lorette

Fattyowls

I've had a search of the forum and the electrical interweb looking for an on-line register for the new memorial for all those killed in the Pas de Calais/Nord region in WW1, but drawn a blank. Does anyone know if such a thing exists and if so can they point me to it? I have a vague recollection of looking up some of my footballers when it was first opened but I can't be sure I didn't imagine it. It is a memorial I am keen to visit but I won't be there until next year at the earliest.

Thanks in anticipation,

Pete.

3 hours ago, Jane Roberts said:

Was there the other month.

Not sure if this helps, but seems there's an app http://www.lens14-18.com/en/579606-soldiers-names/

Jane

Jane, this is very kind of you. I can't seem to find a link to the database on the site itself and my phone isn't smart enough for the apps, but it is a good start. There is a corner of the Somme battlefield just north of Gueudecourt which appears to fall inside the Pas-de-Calais and I was interested to see if the men who died there (including Major Lanoe Hawker VC, shot down by Manfred von Richthofen) are included on the Ring of Remembrance.

Much appreciated,

Pete.

P.S. One of my footballers is buried in Ypres Resevoir.

Pete.

• Admin

MorningPete

just downloaded the app and checked HAWKER , but Lanoe doesn't appear. The Anneau de Memoire is impressive and we always visit when we are over. The nearby museum on the main road is also well worth visiting. 

Michelle 

7 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

MorningPete

just downloaded the app and checked HAWKER , but Lanoe doesn't appear. The Anneau de Memoire is impressive and we always visit when we are over. The nearby museum on the main road is also well worth visiting. 

Michelle 

Thanks Michelle, I suspected as much, although Hawker is remembered on the RFC/RAF Memorial to the Missing at Faubourg d'Amiens in Arras, which presumably falls within the catchment of the Ring of Remembrance. I was going to check on Kurt Thielicke and my man Leigh Roose for something I am currently writing (with lots of help from Egbert), but I now know what the answer is likely to be. It is rare these days for me to find something really new on the battlefields but I am really keen to see the Ring; the view from where it now stands is a favourite of mine. The other moral I need to take from this is that it is time I got a new phone........

4 hours ago, egbert said:

michelle, would you please be so kind and check for > Kurt Thielicke < please?

Egbert, you read my mind from the middle of the Atlantic ocean; I am impressed.

2 hours ago, Frajohn said:

Egbert

It would appear that he is not listed on the memorial.

regards

John

Thanks John; I was interested too, hope all is well in Martinpuich.

Pete.

• Admin

Took this photo in September Pete, gives you the general idea 

Michelle 

IMG_0957.JPG

• Admin

Hello Egbert 

there are a Karl and a Fritz but not a Kurt 

Michelle 

• 1 year later...
On 28 October 2016 at 00:08, egbert said:

result

I am currently on vacation in France Nord.

i have paid a visit to the memorial at Notre Dame Lorette.

of course I looked for some friends and I did find Gottfried.....

i will post his inscription should you require but I assume you have it already.

my two uncles are not present, but they were killed in Verdun area which is outside the scope of this memorial.

Wow great find -no I do not have anything seen from Gottfried related to the ring of remembrance. If you have a picture with his inscription please post it in the trunk thread and let me have a hi res copy as well. Thanks a lot!

Will certainly add to the trunk thread

Give me a couple of days 

I do not have the skill to link my Nikon to this apple but At home I am Lord of technology.

Tomorrow I travel to Arnek cemetery.

I visit John Platt JENKINSON, who died exactly 100 years tomorrow. ( of wounds )

I also found his name on the Notre Dame Memorial .

He was a cousin on the side of my mother.

If you have not seen this video give it a click.

Very well presented and epic camera work.. must be from a drone.

But well done to the makers.

Great find Martin, I didn't look at it when you posted it originally for some reason but I'm so impressed by it.

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi

I visited the Ring of Remembrance in August 2018 and was discussing it with someone yesterday who asked how many women's names are on it? If anyone has that information I would like to know.

I must say however a very impressive piece of work, a combination of practical engineering and attractive design.

James

• Admin

There are certainly women's names on it, I just searched for a casualty from Etaples cemetery.  As to how many, I have no idea. 

IMG_1762.PNG

I went to the Anneau a few months ago (and hit the most sh**** weather ever, but never mind).

On it are ALL names of ALL casualties of the war. So you'll find ALL men and women of ALL nations.

Just in alphabetical order, without any signs of rank or nationalities.

The sheer number of names are impressive!!!

M.

44 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

I went to the Anneau a few months ago (and hit the most sh**** weather ever, but never mind).

On it are ALL names of ALL casualties of the war. So you'll find ALL men and women of ALL nations.

M.

It's very high on my list of visits next time I'm over. I like the Lorette spur anyway for the views and the history but looking for all my footballers will be very special. I was intending to draw this to your attention but I couldn't remember how to do the @Marilyne thing.

Pete.

1 hour ago, Marilyne said:

M.

Only those who are buried in Nord & Pas-de-Calais, I think. That's very far from "ALL"...

Good evening,

If you want photos of the names on the memory ring, I will be delighted to help you.
I live nearby.

Kind regards

Michel

From memory there are something of the order of 580,000 names on that memorial. The school children we took-10/11 year olds-were stunned by it all

George