Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Second Lieutenant Ronald Walpole Durno

wpf1958

I am researching Second Lieutenant Ronald Walpole Durno who died on Saturday 24th February 1917 and is buried in La Clytte.

What iI know so far:

He was born in 1899 at Egloshayle Vicarage, Cornwall, on Friday 8th April 1898, son of the late Reverend George Durno, MA (Rector and Examining Chaplain to the Bishop of Glasgow), and Hannah Dick-Dalgety Durno, of 11 Elm Park Gardens, Chelsea, London. He had elder siblings, Leslie, Dorothy and Ronald and a younger sister, Phyllis. Educated at Marlborough College from January 1912 to Easter 1915 as a Scholar and passed into RMA Woolwich.
Commissioned on 26th October 1915, went out to France on 27th January 1916.

Does anyone know with whom he served before TMB and has anyone got access to the war diaries (or ref nos) for that period.

All any any information would be gratefully received.

Wilhelm

• 3 months later...
Guest John MacArthur

Hello Wilhelm.    Came across your entry while searching another Durno.      I am distantly related to this Durno family, my mother was a Durno.       Who are you and what is your connection?     I am 82, retired Professor of Economics, and live near Leeds. 

Can't help with your question, sadly.     Do you know anything about his sister Dorothy, who married Frederick Plummer?       I've lost the trail with this family.       The brother Leslie is buried in Truro, after a long career in India.

Let me know.   email johnmacarthur@talk21.com

Wilhelm

His file survives under WO 339/54803 at TNA which has him as Royal Field Artillery which the Woolwich connection would make highly likely. You just need a friendly soul to look it up for you at TNA

Good luck with it all John 

Marlborough College may be able to help.  They have a Roll of Honour etc on line, I believe.

Edwin

Wilhelm

I can look at the file next week and give you some facts !

Hi

Sorry for the delay but am on the battlefields in the camper! Any info would be great. Will reply properly on Sunday.

All the best

Wilhelm

Dear Moonraker, Edwin, Hambo, John and Sotonmate

Again apologies to you all for kindly replying to the entry on Ronald Dunro. It is much appreciated.

I have no personal connection with the man but he is buried in a cemetery very close to where I live. I am sorry that I do not know anything further about his sister. The link to the Marlborough College site is most helpful.

I would, as always, be most grateful for Sotonmate's kindness in looking up his papers if time permits and you have the opportunity.

Very grateful to you all.

Best wishes

Wilhelm