Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RND: Records of Service at NA

quigs1969

Hi Everyone,

I am a little confused over the difference between two sets of records on the National Archives website; ADM 337 - RNVR: Records of Service and ADM 339 - RND: Records of Service, I know it may seem that the obvious answer is one is the RNVR and the other is the RND but my grand-uncle's service record has me a little confused:

Name: John Crawford

Service No. Clyde Z/3526

I would have expected to find him in ADM 337 - RNVR: Records of Service, however he is not there, "Clyde Z/3524" is there  and next is "Clyde Z/3528", no Clyde Z/3526.

He is in ADM 339 - RND: Records of Service.

The first part is as follows:

• 10.3.15 Date of Entry
  • 10.3.15.C.P.Depot (1/D/816)
  • 15.3.15 Drafted from Clyde Division H.Quarters to C.Palace.
  • 20.6.15 Blandford Camp.
  • 1.7.15 - 5.7.15  R.N. Hospital, Portland, Defective teeth dentally treated
  • 6.7.15 From Portland Hospital
  • 12.7.15 .Recd.B'ford.D.O.104.
  •  19.6.15 Drafted from 1st Battn Depot, (D/816) to 1st Res.Battn Blandfd
  • 1.8.15 Hawke Battalion
  • 20.8.15. Drafted to Hawke Battalion
  • 1.10.15 7 days punishment 10/A in the field; neglect of duty
  • 23.10.15 Adm to Hos. Gallipoli

It states John was "Drafted from Clyde Division H.Quarters" does this mean that John enlisted with the the RNVR at Clyde, would he have spent any time there before going to Crystal Place? What is the difference between John and those recorded in ADM 339 and the others with the Clyde Z/ prefix recorded in ADM 337?

I would also be grateful if anyone could tell me what the "10/A" in "7 days punishment 10/A in the field; neglect of duty" signifies.

Colin

Summary Punishment No10 is" extra work and drill".

ADM 337 records exist for men who served at sea (or to be more accurate on "Sea Service"). ADM 339 records are for men who served (however briefly) in the RND.Some RNVR men served in the RND and were later transferred to sea service. They will have both ADM 337 and ADM 339 records. In addition all RNVR ratings have enrolment (enlistment) and other papers in the archive of the Fleet Air Arm Museum (fleetairarm.enquiries@NMRN.org.uk)

Your man will have enrolled into Clyde Division RNVR who passed him, within a day or two, straight down to Crystal Palace for service in the RND.

Beware the dates on the left hand side of RND records. They are often the date that the following information was received at the RND record office, NOT the date of the actual event recorded.

Thanks Horatio for another full & informative answer.

45 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

ADM 337 records exist for men who served at sea (or to be more accurate on "Sea Service").

This makes sense now, his brother enlisted with the Navy before the war, his father was a fisherman and during the war was master of "Loch Doon" a hired trawler that served as a mineseeper, it is possible he served with his father before he enlisted with the RNVR.

51 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

Beware the dates on the left hand side of RND records. They are often the date that the following information was received at the RND record office, NOT the date of the actual event recorded.

Thanks for the heads up, yes, his Service Record was very confusing and difficult to decipher due to this, not sure if I have it correct, the entries are out of sequence too.

Thanks again Horatio