Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shell recognition help please

brett361975

Please forgive my ignorance, I was an Infantry man and no very little about the Artillery. I picked up this at the weekend. Can anyone tell me what type of shell it is if possible please ?

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

BrettIMG_2899.JPG

IMG_2900.JPG

IMG_2901.JPG

The width of the base is 10.5 cm and the inside edge of the top where the fuse screws into  is 6.5cm.

It has a piece of metal inside (see last photo) which when i tip the shell forward moves forward if that makes sense. It has a screw thread through the center, for the fuse i presume.

Thanks for any help you can offer. Kind regards

Brett

IMG_2905.JPG

IMG_2908.JPG

IMG_2907.JPG

The metal disc looks like a push plate (the central screw to accomodate the flash tube) for a shrapnel shell but the nose of the shell looks a bit narrow for a shrapnel shell, so it's a bit of a puzzle to me. If i were forced to take a stab,  I'd say French 105mm shrapnel. Happy, and almost sure, to be corrected.

Thanks very much SRD. Any idea on the type of fuse it would have had ?

thanks again

brett 

My guess would be the beehive type time fuze listed for the rear charge shrapnel shell 105mm 

http://www.passioncompassion1418.com/decouvertes/english_fusees_collection_fr.html

But I'm swimming way out of my depth here. The shape of your shell yells French to me, but French fuzes seem to be a, mixed ordnance metaphors aside, minefield.

Edited by ServiceRumDiluted

SRD really appreciate your help, tight or wrong  its a starting point and far more than I knew this morning.

Thanks again for your time

Kind regards

Brett