Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

27th Infantry Brigade Diary April/May 1917

Skipman

I think I can can locate it but in library at present so link is different.

Found by using this combination in seach box, everything else left blank. From 1st April you can just keep going into May

TEW

Untitled.jpg

Sorry, would help if I got the right year!!

TEW

I don't think TNA have it. HQ diaries stop at Dec 1916.

TEW

22 minutes ago, TEW said:

I don't think TNA have it. HQ diaries stop at Dec 1916.

TEW

Thanks TEW. I couldn't see it in the NA either. Do think that means

1) There never was one?

2) There was one, but, it's missing?

3) There is one but NA and Ancestry have yet to digitise it?

Mike

Option 2 seems the most likely.

I could add Option 4 which is it does exist but has been mis-described by TNA and one day someone will find it described as a 'Commander Royal Artillery' diary or some such.

TEW

Here is how they appear in TNA's catalogue of WO95:

WO 95/1769 27 Infantry Brigade: Headquarters 1915 May - 1916 Dec.  
WO 95/1770 Headquarters 1917 Jan. - Dec.  
WO 95/1771 Headquarters 1918 Jan. - 1919 Mar.  

Hope this helps!

Ron

Ron to the rescue again :thumbsup:. Well done, and thanks to you I now have the 27th Infantry Brigade Diary for April/May 1917 available at the National Archives Discovery website for £3.45 Click

No idea where they are in the Ancestry version.

Mike

I don't know how Ron does it. WO95/1770 are catalogued as 9th Division Headquarters. If I search for Infantry Brigade within WO95/1770 there are no results.

However, if you look at 1770/3 it is as Ron says, 27th Brigade HQ.

Ancestry have it  Starting April 1st

Does this count as my Option 4 in post#8? Is this not a reportable error in description?

TEW

On 10/28/2016 at 08:55, TEW said:

I don't know how Ron does it.

When I took early retirement in 2000 my team was being disbanded so I had time on my hands, and my desk was next to the department's only PC with an external internet connection! The class-list for WO95 has always been easier to browse than to search, so I copied and pasted it into a set of Excel spreadsheets. It's easy to find the relevant division, which you can identify from Becke's Order of Battle volumes which I also have, and then search the spreadsheet for the division's block of diaries.

The list has several quirks, inherited from the old manual shelf catalogue, which makes it harder to search. For instance, if you are interested in 27 Brigade Trench Mortar Battery, you won't find it, and if you leave the 27 out you get nearly 200 hits. The case we have discussed here is another (though this particular example is unusual: most brigade HQ diaries do have the brigade title as well). It would probably be too big a job for TNA to go through the whole list making it easier to search.

Simples!

Ron

PS I think Forum Pal sotonmate may have a similar crib.

Edited by Ron Clifton

So if someone reported this case as a description error to TNA and they correct it does this play havoc with your spreadsheet?

I've been reporting WO95 errors to TNA, anything from incorrect dates, units, other parts of descriptions, or things like parts of 33CCS diary (missing from 33CCS diaries) merged into 23 CCS, ADMS diary described as Royal Artillery, ADMS diaries that include a DADMS diary, CCSs described as being 3rd Army when they are 4th Army. I've kept tabs on the errors I've reported and oddly, some are corrected and given a new description in days while others have not changed in months.

This is obviously too big a job for TNA to do but isn't that why they provide an error reporting service?

Other point of course is that Ancestry blindly follow the description given by TNA. I think the more corrections made to TNA could make things even more difficult to find on Ancestry.

TEW