Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Indian Cavalry

Gareth Davies

Is there a book that tells the story of the Indian Cavalry in the Great War?

Not a one-volume history in my (*ahem*) 'Extensive Library'.

Was there anything you had in mind. Knowing your predilection for the Palestine campaign, I can recommend Anglesey

I have Anglesey, plus some individual Regimental histories. I wondered whether there was a single volume that covered the whole lot, or maybe one covering F&F and one covering other theatres. 

'Indian Cavalry Officer 1914-15 - Captain Roly GRIMSHAW' edited by Col. J. WAKEFIELD and  Lt/Col.  J.M.WEIPPERT,  first published in 1986.

ISBN 0 7104 3027 2, includes some photographs of Indian Cavalry on Western Front.

Well worth reading - includes Experiences of Ram SINGH, Dafadar of Horse.

Philip

Thanks Philip.

Available online 

History of the 15th Imperial Service Cavalry Brigade during the Great War 1914-1918 London: HMSO, 1920. Includes maps. Digitised Manuscript from the India Office Records, British Library.

Also available as a pdf download, Digital Library of India.

The Brigade  spent the War in Egypt and Palestine. The constituent regiments include the Kathiawar Signal Troop, Hyderabad Lancers, Mysore Lancers including two troops  Bhavnagar Lancers and one troop   Kashmir Lancers, Patiala Lancers and Jodhpur Lancers

Cheers

Maureen

Hi Gareth

As so many local folk died or were wounded at Gallipoli I seem to have gathered many - several not really on those from town - one good one is the following which is normally £25 but is reduced just as it was when I bought it awhile ago -you'll find it on Naval & Military Press.

Taken from their site.

DIE IN BATTLE, DO NOT DESPAIR The Indians on Gallipoli, 1915
Product Code: 23463

...They served in an infantry brigade, a mountain artillery brigade, in medical units and in a large contingent of mule drivers, who perhaps made the Indians' most important contribution to the campaign...

Retail Price: £25.00
Our price: £9.99 save 60%

This is another and only sold on their site - I haven't read it myself yet but have been told it's good. However I'm waiting to see if the price will drop as they sometimes do for a couple of weeks every now and then.

So from their site again.

INDIAN CORPS IN FRANCE
Product Code: 7698

...This history was published at the request and under the authority of the India Office, and apart from General Willcocks' own memoirs, With The Indians in France, it is the only record of the corps...

Our price: £19.95 

There are just suggestions

thanks and take care, Kitty

I have both those books, thank you, but neither meet the description of what I am really after. 

14 hours ago, Gareth Davies said:

I have Anglesey, plus some individual Regimental histories. I wondered whether there was a single volume that covered the whole lot, or maybe one covering F&F and one covering other theatres. 

Obviously Horsemen in No-Man's Land is good, but I daresay you already have that.

Yes I do, thank you.

Folks,

I am surprised no one has mentioned Major General Gurchan Singh Sandhu's most excellent "The Indian Cavalry" which cover the Indian Army cavalry regiments from early beginnings up to 1940.

That's does cover all the activities of the Indian Cavalry during WW1 in the various theatres..

I hope that helps.

Matthew

Edited by Matthew B.

Thank you, I will track it down.