Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

292538 Pte James McDonald, Black Watch

Bardess

The only entry I can find for the above has been crossed out without any comments. Please can you find the correct entry?

CWGC.jpg

27 minutes ago, GraemeClarke said:

Hi

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=UKArmyRegistersEffects&gss=sfs28_ms_db&new=1&rank=1&msT=1&_F8007A65=292538&_F8007A65_x=1&MSAV=1&uidh=ya4

(Not a member so cannot narrow it down - or is this the one you already have)

Regards,

Graeme

That's the right man but it's the record that was crossed out - CWGC has 23rd as date of death whereas the effects have 23rd-25th.

I had a quick scan and I can't see any other obvious entry - I suspect ancestry indexing.

EDIT:

I can't see anything obvious under his other 2 numbers either - #4429 and #6382.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

I should that the 'see also' reference just above the crossing out isn't for him - the other record is for Stokes (the entry above James')

Craig

Is anyone going to be at Scotlandspeople or the Registers equivalent in the near future? There are 28 James McDonalds deaths in the Minor records Service Returns for 1917 + 5 James MacDonalds.

(I didn't find anything useful in the Daily Casualty Lists.)

Roger M

3 minutes ago, Bardess said:

Yay!!!!! Thanks Craig and everyone who's looked for me. Brilliant!!

You're welcome (it was either look for him or continuing reading my law books - your man won). I've got to find another excuse now.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

It looks as if he left a normal will. presented together with the inventory at Edinburgh Sheriff Court on 5 October 1918 with and eik on 11 November ????, presumably by or on behalf of his mother as executrix.

"watchmaker, afterwards 35 Square, Grantown-on-Spey, and of Ashbank, Callander, Pte., 1/7th Battalion Royal Highlanders, d. on or since 23/04/1917 testate".

(scotlandspeople)

(An eik is an addition or continuation usually to a will or inventory).

Roger M

Edited by rolt968