Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Engineers Road Construction Corps

Dawnbutterworth

Hi All,

I have been lucky enough to get my hands on a copy of my Great Grandad's war records where it is confirmed that he was transferred to the Royal Engineers on the 17th February 2017 and was with the 314th Road Construction Corps. Another part of his records indicate that he was in France so I can only assume that he was in France with the 314th Road Construction Corps. Having travelled around a few of the World War 2 sites in France we have decided this year to go to the Somme and whilst in that area I would love to be able to visit somewhere that my Great Grandad might have been. However try as I might I cannot seem to find any information on the 314th Road Construction Corps. Having been on this site previously where I received lots of help I thought it might be worth a try again.

I have discovered that a footballer named Martin Neyland was also in the 314th Road Construction Corps however to be honest that hasn't helped in my research!

Anything that anyone can help me with would be much appreciated! Oh and I go to France in just over a week, really have left it to the last minute!!

Many thanks,

Dawn

Dawn,

I can't see a war diary in the National Archives catalogue.

The Royal Engineers Museum appears to hold one for the period February 1917 to June 1918.

Click here and go to page 20 (of 45) of the pdf.

I have no experience of the museum, but their website is here.

Hi Phil,

Thank you for finding this. I have actually emailed the Museum however theres a possibility it could take them 6-8 weeks to reply purely because of all the emails sent to them. But I will have another look on their website.

Thank you for coming back to me so quickly.

Many thanks,

Dawn