Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KRRC Attached to RE

Alan24

Reading through Brian Morris' list of sick and wounded RE 1916, I spotted a soldier from the Rifle Brigade Attached to the RE.

This prompted me to think of my Grandmother's Brother in Law who was in 4th (& 9th) KRRC but who I have photos of wearing a uniform with RE shoulder titles and cap badge. 

There are no records of him having been in the RE according to his MIC and Medal Rolls but he clearly wears the uniform! It's likely to be his uniform (not borrowed) as it has a lyre and marksman badges as worn on his KRRC uniform too. 

It has occurred to me that he may have been attached and swapped cap badge and shoulder titles.

So the questions are - 1. does that explain why he does not appear to have a RE number, 2. would an attached soldier keep his original badges or replace them with his temporary unit? 3. does anyone know of Soldier(s) from the KRRC being attached to an RE unit? if so, in this case I'm looking for a date in 1915 and probably in France but could have been at home.

His details: 10066 John Edward Brown 4th & 9th KRRC.

Regards

Alan. 

Alan

The Medal Rolls show that he disembarked in France on 20/12/1914 and his BW&V Roll shows that he was discharged on 24/07/1918 under KR para 392. His SWB Roll shows that he enlisted on 02/05/1911 and was discharged with wounds on 24/07/1918 aged 25 years and 328 days. The WD for 4 KRRC in France and Flanders for 1915 (WO 95/2262(1)) shows that the Bn was not used in a Pioneer role for 27 Div but was involved in the fighting in the Ypres sector in May. Other rank casualties are named in appendices and 10066 Rfn J Brown is named among the missing in the fighting between 08 and 10/05/1915. (Ancestry page 130/169 - bottom line). In this action the Bn was reduced to 2 Officers and approx 100 o/rs including stretcher bearers and signallers. Do you know if he went to Salonika with the 4th. I have not yet looked at the WD for the 9th in 1918 WO 95/1900(2) to see if he is named as wounded.

TLLT shows the Bns of the KRRC employed as Divisional Pioneers were 20 Bn (3 Div) in 1916 and 25 Bn (59 Div) in 1918. They would have worked under the Commander RE. 

Brian 

Brian, thanks for looking this up.

I had most of the basic stuff from MICs & Medal Rolls etc.

What I didn't know was that he is listed in the War Diary. When I tried to look this up on ancestry a few weeks ago something wasn't working their end. Now you have flagged this up I'll download the TNA version.

He was in India with the 4th in August 1914 and came back to Mourn Hill camp Winchester in October of that year where he met my grandmother's older sister.

He never went to Salonika with the 4th in Nov 1915...maybe this is connected to him being missing earlier that summer. What we do know is that he was wounded 4 times. He is photographed with 3 wound stripes then in Jan 1918 he lost an arm which obviously lead to his discharge and SWB.

As far as I know he only served with the 4th and 9th battalions in France and Flanders but the great mystery is how he turns up in a photo with my great aunt on their engagement wearing a RE uniform probably dated 1917 as he also wears 2 good conduct stripes.

He married in Winchester in Nov 1918 but died of TB in 1923 leaving a wife and child.

Regards

Alan

Alan

The WD of 9 KRRC in January 1918 does not name o/rs.It states "27/01/1918 one o/r accidentally wounded". There are some excellent reports and maps etc in the WD of 80 Infantry Brigade that cover the action around Bellewaarde Lake on 08 to 10/05/1915, and the other earlier actions around St Eloi.

Brian